News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Local availablity of LED dash lights in US of A

Started by Roadinator, February 01, 2016, 06:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

Doing steering head bearing replacement and I thought I should go ahead and go to LED dash lights (I can't see shit at night with the current dash lights).  Can I walk into a car parts store and find them now?  Do you think anybody would have them locally or just go ahead and order online?  Trying to do it quickly.
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

JayDub

"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

KuzzinKenny

Hey Roadinator !! there are a few golden rules with LED's.............. :icon_scratch:

replace bulb colour with LED colour (red with red, green with green)

DON'T replace the blue main beam idiot bulb with a super bright LED  :nono

LED's only work one way, so if it don't work take it out and turn it 180  :icon_wink:

LED's have come on leaps n bounds in the last few years so should be even better than they were  :thumbsup

have a looky here...............

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/

have fun

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Roadinator

Thanks for the replies.  Just wanted to see if I could walk into a store, but it seems like it's still a specialty item.  Will order.

Thanks!

Dyn Blin

This may help:   (These are listed in the original conventional lamp size, your LED source will have a size conversion chart for the LED's equivalent):

As mentioned previously, you'll generally want to match bulb colors to warning indicator color.  For the bulbs on the instrument cluster, I preferred staying with "white"after toying with some other colors.  YMMV

6 Warning lights 3W Size  T6.5 (aka "24")
2 Tach/Clock  1.7W Size T6.5 (aka "24")
3 for Speedo/Fuel/Temp 1.7W Size  T10  (aka "194")

There's a national chain called "Batteries Plus Bulbs" that can order anything if you have a local store and want to shop locally, or as mentioned previously "SuperBrightLEDS" has a great website and service, too.

If you run into issue with "hyperflashing" of signals after the swap of the green dash/warning bulb row indicator, look for a no-load or dual-load relay.   Search "CF13 GL-02" to source one. A nice bonus is that this spec will play nicely with both conventional and LED. IRRC, the position under the front fairing behind the cockpit is Relay #5. The original is "taller" and stands proud of the others.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Dyn Blin

Roadinator

Thanks for the info.  I buttoned it back up for now and wanted to get riding.  So I can order now instead of having to walk into a store.

brad1098

02 black-Lorna

atokad

See the LED thread I just quote that is now at the top of the forum.  Best write up for LED replacements IMHO.  I followed it and it is a great conversion.

I did do the Blue LED for the High Beam as during the day if I happened to have the high beam on, I could not see the weak incandescent blue bulb.  Does not bother me at night or day at all. I wouldn't change anything from what I did, for colors that is.

www.superbrightleds.com in St. Louis, MO for bulbs.  :sign13

atokad

This is the best thread for info on LED. Go here for complete details including flasher replacements to overcome the problems with the stock flasher unit not working with LEDs.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.phptopic=9215.0

RumRunnerGuy

For you guys buying from Superbrites do you recall what model bulbs you have gotten?  They have so many variations I'd rather not experiment.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: atokad on February 27, 2016, 05:22:05 PM

I did do the Blue LED for the High Beam as during the day if I happened to have the high beam on, I could not see the weak incandescent blue bulb.  Does not bother me at night or day at all.

Glad it worked for you but the LED i put in mine was so bright at night it was a distraction  :icon_eek:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Dyn Blin

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on April 13, 2016, 03:36:25 AM
For you guys buying from Superbrites do you recall what model bulbs you have gotten?  They have so many variations I'd rather not experiment.

See info in reply #4.  On the SBLED site, the left side will have a filter for bulb size/style.  From those choices, match the color for your swap and pick the widest beam angle.

atokad

Looks like no one has posted here recently. It seems my link to the thread from TigerTrax for the replacement of the dash bulbs with LED bulbs from SuperBrights in St Louis, MO, so I looked back from my older posts and found this from around March of 2011. Maybe Mustung can get that broken link fixed just based on the approximated date and who the original member was that posted what was the best LED conversion thread there was for the Girlies.

The LEDs and flasher unit + $8 postage:  $92

Most LED bulbs run $3 - $6 ea ....

Mini-Instrument 1 wht & 1 grn: $4 x 2:
Instrument - Green: $6 x 3:
Turn Signal bulbs: $5 x 4:
Flasher unit runs $13 x 1:
Tail/Stop bulbs run $13 ea x 2:

When you start looking you can get confused pretty quickly.
For instance I selected a few bulbs that were wrong. Their customer sevice
guy explained about fwd shooting LEDs, SIDE SHOOTING LEDs, and different LED beam angles.

The end result: Full coverage behind the instrument and within the lenses.

Edit, found it:

Electrickery / LED Lights
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:49:34 AM »
Hey you Big Kitty Whippers . . .

I decided to LED the Kitty..... 2006 Tiger
SOURCE: www.superbrightleds.com     St Louis, MO
Remember: Bulb must be same color as lens.

New Instrument lights and CLOCK light: Far Out! Big improvement.
I chose GREEN for instruments and WHITE for clock.
SPEEDO - Fuel Gauge - Temp: LED Bulb: WLEDGHP5 Green.
Clock: LED Mini / Wedge /Bulb: 74-WWHP3 Warm White
TACH: LED Mini / Wedge / bulb: 74-GHP3  Green

PS: On wedge or double contact bulbs... if they do not light... remove them and turn them 180° then reinsert... they should work.

Tail / Stop Lights: Much brighter and FILLS entire lens! White bottom & side LEDs shine on license plate. LED Bulb:  1157-R-19W6 Red.

Turn Signals: VERY BRIGHT ( At least the ONE of FOUR that is working ).
(I replaced the flasher unit also). For some reason 3 of 4 sockets will not flash. Old bulbs work fine. New LEDs work fine in the one operating socket. LED guy says often wiring is reversed on different sockets... so I swiched leads... zippo ... any help would be appreciated. I'll get it worked out.
Turn Signal Bulb: 67-A-15  Amber

Turn Signal Flasher for LED bulbs: CF13GL-02