News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrex World R/R

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 20, 2015, 12:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I had my bike out for the first time in months last Thursday.  Not really strong enough at the moment but last chance I get before I get properly fixed so gave it a go.  Volt meter seemed to be cycling from 14v to 15v  in 0.1 steps very quickly ie rising 1v in about 2 seconds.  And both headlamp bulbs have blown.  Likely the two events are related.

First thing to do tomorrow is check the integrity of the RRs purple sensing wire.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 20, 2015, 12:15:54 AM
And both headlamp bulbs have blown.  Likely the two events are related.

Yea... it is highly coincidental that both bulbs would blow at the same time normally.

How cold is it there?
Which mosfet did you get?

~JD

benebob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 20, 2015, 12:15:54 AM
And both headlamp bulbs have blown.

Wow, I'm shocked you noticed.  Would have thought you'd have more light with 'em out of the way.   That does seem odd.  Both low and high burn out or just the low?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

No it's not cold here yet,  only the low beams have blown because I didn't use the hig beams at the time, and the MOSFET is the Electrexworld one with the purple wire which they no longer seem to make.... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 21, 2015, 07:46:58 PM
No it's not cold here yet,  only the low beams have blown because I didn't use the hig beams at the time, and the MOSFET is the Electrexworld one with the purple wire which they no longer seem to make.... :icon_rolleyes:

There's no purple wire on the FH020AA and SH775AA... Please see extremely simple wire diagram below:

Bixxer Bob

I have the Electrex World MOSFET with a purple sensing wire that goes on the +ve battery terminal. It seems they no longer do it, maybe because it's possible to forget to re-connect it (DAMHIK  :icon_redface:  )  It wasn't on their list long.

I think Chris has one also.....

This is their latest:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR690.html

Chris Canning

I've got the other version and when it came wished I'd bought the one you have,I see the one they offer now is different from both of ours :icon_scratch:

Bixxer Bob

Yes, I think they did away with the purple wire and built the voltage sensing into the +ve charging wire.  Having also incorporated the Sasqutch mod into the design, the charging lead is heavy enough  not to make any noticeable voltage drop between the RR and the battery.

Cos

So is it the 690 or the 919 for the Tiger? I'm confused now.

Grem

Bob, I had an electrex world RR about 6 years ago which did exactly what you described.
It had only been on the bike for around a month when the problem happen, it took out both dip and full beams which made for an interesting ride home in the dark!
I don't have a voltmeter fitted to the bike, but it was massive over voltage the whole dash got very bright has the head lamps blow.
I tried to contact electrex World for a refund and costs of me taking the bike to a main dealer but they never replied to anything I contacted them with. 
Since I've had a triumph RR  and a "charging  fix" with no problems.

Bixxer Bob

One headlight bulb had blown earlier; I'd forgotten about it until the second one blew.  I got home on main beam most of the time without blowing anything else so I think it was only co-incidence. Both bulbs had been in for around 30k miles. Anyway, I got round to checking it today; the purple wire is ok and although the cheap dash voltmeter is showing 14.5 -15v, the actual voltage at the battery is a maximum of 14.6v checked with a good multimeter so the reg rec is ok.  I've replaced the bulbs and so will take it for a run once I've done the front brakes.

Cos

I had to put off buying an RR for a while...so if i order from these people (not that there are any other options i see)...which one should i get? They're not very good at answering their email.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Cos on February 08, 2016, 01:59:26 PM
I had to put off buying an RR for a while...so if i order from these people (not that there are any other options i see)...which one should i get? They're not very good at answering their email.

Cos,

Personally, would try and get the Shindengen FH020AA RR and combine it with the additional harness from Triumph, have been through a few RRs over the years and the only one that has lasted is the Shindengen.

You can get one from these people if you cant find one closer  http://www.roadstercycle.com/

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Cos

so if i get this...it's pretty much plug and play? no crimping, soldering, etc?

And i'm in Cyprus mate...nothing's closer  :BangHead

"Triumph T2500676 Harness
  and FH020AA or SH775 Package

This is a T2500676 adapter harness for a direct plug and play for the Triumph Triple. It may fit other Triumphs a.but you'll have to check your connector ends and see. An avid Triumph owner told me it is the same connector found on a lot of other Triumphs. Also has been working on numerous Ducati motorcycles also. Check the forums .The picture of the ends should be a good indication of what it will fit.

R/R option
FH020AA Mosfet     

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport