News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrex World R/R

Started by Bixxer Bob, December 20, 2015, 12:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Quote from: HockleyBoy on February 08, 2016, 02:46:46 PM
Cos,

Personally, would try and get the Shindengen FH020AA RR and combine it with the additional harness from Triumph, have been through a few RRs over the years and the only one that has lasted is the Shindengen.

You can get one from these people if you cant find one closer  http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Looks the same as my Electrex what I didn't like about mine was the extra connections as opposed to wires coming straight out the RR,just another thing to corrode

Bixxer Bob

Cos, given that the jury is still out over my Electrex MOSFET (blown bulbs that might be age or might be volts, I'm not sure yet) I'd go with the Shindengen if you can.  there's nothing like user experience....

My dash voltmeter shows I'm getting 14.9 - 15.0 volts at the moment although a multimeter across the battery ata the same time shows only 14.5v, that's why I can't decide.  I've fitted acouple of cheap bulbs for now, not the extra bright expensive ones I bought, and I'll see how it goes.

Weather and brake service permitting I'll ride down to the Excel on Friday 200 mileround trip so should be a good enough test.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Cos

Thanks for the input...i might go the Shindengen route if it's a surer bet. Being here makes it a pain to have to return parts and i'm not exactly crazy about the way the Electrex people don't reply to emails with questions. Not very confidence-boosting in case of a problematic RR.

HockleyBoy

Cos,

If its any help, I seem to remember the roadstercycle people were pretty efficient but that was quite a while back. There are cheaper ones available on ebay though.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Cos

I did look around on Ebay...for the most part, everything seems to be around 80-90 pounds...and the pound is killing the Euro right now  :BangHead

Chris Canning

Quote from: Cos on February 10, 2016, 05:47:20 AM
i'm not exactly crazy about the way the Electrex people don't reply to emails with questions. Not very confidence-boosting in case of a problematic RR.

If you have parted with money then I agree with you,but answering emails from folk that haven't doesn't cut it over here,it's at the bottom of the list of things to do you want answers ? Then phone there's no where to hide on a one to one,it's bad enough on eBay never mind trying to run a business.

XJC

Hey bixxer, did you get any further with your investigation?

The reason I ask is that I'm just about to buy the RR 690 from Electrex World. I got back yesterday from the highlands but I lost the rev counter at Aultbea, about 300 miles from home. The rev counter fluctuated wildly then zeroed and the temp gauge also zeroed. I did a quick tighten of the battery terminals and this got the temp gauge working but the rev counter still fluctuated initially then died. I had no choice but to soldier on figuring that I'll soon find out if the battery is getting a charge or not. Luckily it was and we made it home ok.

I suppose I'm just looking for confirmation that the RR is probably the most likely candidate here.

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

Bixxer Bob

Look in the how to section, there's a link to an Electrexworld fault finding pdf which is easy to follow and well written.

I never got a reply from them when I contacted them, but like Chris says, they're not brilliant at that.

My early Electrex MOSFET is holding up, if putting out a little high at times ie 15v instead of 14.7v.  I blew another bulb the other day, but think that was down to me having to fit an old bulb in a hurry before it's annual test.

If I was doing thiws again though, I'd be going the FH020AA or Shindingen route.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

XJC

Thanks john,

I'll do some testing as per the pdf and if required I'll go the Shindengen route.

Cheers,

Alan.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

benebob

I have the Shindengen SH775 on mine and just put a voltmeter on my dash.  At a cold idle it will show 14.1 or 14.2, with my grips and fogs on it will read 14.1 running at 2500rpm or above.  Once warmed the volts drop at idle to about 13.6 or so after a lot of highway riding (although I think it is just a little slow to regulate back up).  Very easy install.  Do they sell any Polaris machines over yonder?  You can buy one from the Polaris dealer.  Wiring harness is plug and play out of a Rocket 3.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Chris Canning

I'll put this as a heads up Tim spotted it the Electrex website says that their Reg/Rec are not suitable for Lithium batteries.