News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

special request: need to hear the starter sound

Started by stfontaine, February 09, 2016, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stfontaine

Hi !

1st: english is not my native & everyday language so I'll do my best here.

I'm from Canada (the french portion of it) and I have a 1998 black tiger with 55000km that I bought in summer 2015.
I did some mod on it, like enlarging the jet in the carb with the suggested drill bit and also I added a spacer on the needle.
Carb response was great with immediate result :)
It had the DAR problem too (broken bolt on alternator fan) so I fix that too.

The coils are gils and I do have the common problem of bad fire under 4krpm.
I tried to swap them for direct fire coil but the problem increased exponentialy.
So I'll order the nology one.

As there's a law in the province of Quebec where we can't ride our motorcycle between decembre 15 and march 15, why not use that time to check the bike's condition.

As it was more and more difficult to start it, I did a compression test with disastrous results: 65, 5 and 45 psi. DOH !!!
Houston, we have a problem :)
Now the engine is open and I do have a lot of fun rebuilding it. It's my first rebuilt ever !

I did notice a strange starter sound at the end of the season giving the impression it was not starting fast enough (even if my battery was 100% healty).
There's a lot of things I can test in the engine & carb to know if it's still in specs but it's difficult to mesure the starter itself.

So my request is: can somebody film (or record) the starter sound of it's tiger without starting the engine ?
I would like to compare it with the sound of mine in few weeks when the engine will be rebuilt and ready to be started (I've put new rings last night).

Thanks !

Stéphane Fontaine
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

ssevy

My buddy had to replace the (low mileage) starter on his 2000 Legend, which is the same as ours. Symptoms were as you described. He ordered a brand new one from a Denso truck parts supplier for about half what Triumph charges. It even had a Triumph sticker on it when he got it!
Visual indications were lots of dark gray/black gunk packed in the end, and the contacts were very worn. Not sure what caused it to fail so early?
In any case, since you have it apart, pull the starter out and have a look at it. If it looks as I have described, get yourself a new one. With all of the semis I see southbound on the Northway out of Quebec, I'm sure you can probably find a Denso truck dealer in your area.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

They're not difficult to take apart for a look. Just go slowly so that you can see how the brushes fit before they fly across the garage.

I wish my French was as good as your English  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

ssevy

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

threepot

Found this on YouTube. It'll give you an idea. I'd film mine,but its not in a working state at the mo :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

stfontaine

Thanks guys !

Is anybody took notes of how far the starter parts flied away when opening it ?
I'll see how far my starter parts will go and post results here in few days !  :ImaPoser

Salutation !

Stéphane.

BruKen

Open in it inside a white bin liner first time round

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"