News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaking panniers

Started by pxm, February 29, 2016, 12:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxm

I have a pair of factory panniers & if I leave it in the rain on the side stand, the N/S one lets quite a bit of water in.  I haven't tried it on the main stand as camping in a field doesn't suit a main stand.
Any suggestions on a quick fix please?
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

atokad

From previous replies I've read....
Tighten all the hardware, within reason, don't want to crack anything.  Silicone all the hardware from the inside.
Never store the panniers with the sides latched shut, compresses the gaskets leading to a "looser" fit over time.

I have little experience with mine, but when I have used them, I assumed they might leak and packed clothing in large Ziplock bags.  I mean Large.  In the States the are available in what I would guess is a 4r gallons size bag.  I have some around here somewhere, but would have to pull one out to see for sure how large it is.

pxm

Quote from: atokad on February 29, 2016, 04:37:52 AM

Tighten all the hardware, within reason, don't want to crack anything.  Silicone all the hardware from the inside.
Never store the panniers with the sides latched shut, compresses the gaskets leading to a "looser" fit over time.
The hardware is riveted so I can't tighten.  I could try silicone as you suggest.
I've always stored them closed so perhaps that's the problem.
Thanks for the advice mate.
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900

atokad

Yes, they do appear riveted from the outside but inside,at least on mine (USA), there are hex head cap nuts on the other end of those "rivets".  That is what can be tightened.

iansoady

AIUI they're actually assembled by the supplying dealer. If, like the numbskulls that assembled mine, they used hard brittle sealer on the hinges, they leak.

I drilled out the rivets and reassembled with small screws / nuts and decent silicone sealer (actually bog standard bathroom stuff*) which made them completely waterproof.

*see what I did there?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650