News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie / need help

Started by Swede1, March 28, 2016, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede1

:bowdown
Hi Tigertriple-friends!
I have a 885 carb-tiger 98'
To make a long story short: i've tried all I can think of but it is bad spark on middle and even worse on the right  (3:d) cylinder. Can it be the ECU / CDI /Igniter?
Bricklayer who loves bikes, beer & women! 😉

Bixxer Bob

I understand your frustration and panic, and we will get you going, but but we need a bit more to go on.

A bit about the bike (how many miles, how it normally runs)
When it started playing up
What were the initial symptoms
What are the symptoms now
MOST IMPORTANT: What have you done to it so far.
Then we can try to help

Welcome by the way...... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

98 steamer with bad spark
is generally shitty gill coils going tits up and / or plug wires

you have 1 cylinder running normally?
if yes try swapping the #1 coil with one of the others and see if the problem moves cylinders
if it does there's your problem............. bad coils
if no results try using some spark plug leads that are known to be good .

report back

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

I caught up on the other posts about this bike so was getting there.  Still worth reminding folks  that some background does help clear the crystal ball a bit... 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 28, 2016, 07:34:55 PM
:iagree

I caught up on the other posts about this bike so was getting there. 
:m
don't think there are any other posts about this bike

tonytiger

Hi swede1 are you any further forward with your bike?

Swede1

Hi friends!
I made it a bit short.
I've changed all coils to new ones, sparks brand new and cables are o.k. pickupcoil is measured and ok.
The bike has been from okay to dead from 2 years ago until last June (2015) where I had to leave it in Norway  460 km's from home. It use to be harder to start the cooler the motor / weather was. When engine hot =super easy to start.

Swede1

Sorry I forgot. It's been running for about 62000 kilometres

Mustang

Swede1

38525miles (62000 kilometres )
I think you have it right but then again the sparks shouldn't be bad because of bad clearance to the valves should it? But you are probably right. I payed a local dealer 200£ (2150:- SEK) to tell move my coils were bad and the problem remained the same😡

Mustang

I guarantee it's your valves

these tugboats always act like it's a bad spark no matter what the real problem is .

the symptoms you describe are 1 thing only ..........VALVES NEED ADJUSTMENT ............hopefully you haven't cooked an intake valve or two

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Mustang on March 28, 2016, 07:41:21 PM
:m
don't think there are any other posts about this bike

I was mixing it up with the one by Adamz.  Sooner I'm off these meds the better (although some would say it's not the meds, it's me  :bad)