News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advice/Guidance Needed - continuation of "New York newbie" thread

Started by SCBret, March 10, 2016, 01:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCBret

This is a continuation of this saga: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,15101.0.html

TL;DR - '06 Girly. Attemptef theft, broke my steering lock. Dealership mechanic told insurance my frame was cracked and bike wasn't rideable, so insurance totaled it and took it to an IAA (insurance auto auction) storage facility; same mechanic then called and offered to buy my Girly for the insurance buy-back price to use as his commuter bike; realizing it was still rideable, I bought it back, but it sustained additional damage in transit and storage.

NOW...

Before I knew I would be keeping her, I had that mechanic remove my Thunderbike engine guards before the insurance co came to pick up my Girly and take her to IAA storage.

Bike was returned to me from IAA with the key in the ON position, battery drained, and fluid dripping from those four crankcase bolt holes that are used to fasten the bottom portion of Thunderbike bars -- the mechanic had removed my crash bars but not replaced the crankcase bolts.

Assuming someone at IAA fired her up and ran her with those four crankcase bolts missing, just how severe would my internal damage be? The fluid looked and felt viscous like oil but also green like coolant. If coolant and oil mixed due to the crankcase not being properly sealed, how boned am I? I got my engine guards back, along with the 130mm crank case bolts, and plan to reinstall them and see if I can get her running. What steps should I take (is a simple oil change enough?) and how do I evaluate potential internal damage, knowing that her engine has very likely been running without those bolts in place?

This is such a mess. Thank you in advance for your help and patience.
Life is too short to worry,
Life is too long to wait

Sin_Tiger

Non technical answer and not a legal person. I'd be very tempted to have your nearest Triumph dealer give you a condition report as is before you do anything. Take that and any paperwork/evidence you have to a solicitor and have them take action against that dealer/agent including reporting them to any professional body or ombudsman.

I don't of course know your personal circumstances but this kind of behaviour by traders makes me  :icon_evil:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint