News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Revs don't drop!

Started by threepot, January 17, 2016, 01:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

The K&N will cause more intake noise.

If you're getting less road speed for the same revs, as Ssevy has already said, clutch. Good feel doesn't mean it isn't slipping with higher load.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

I'm working on the assumption that it "feels" not "is" reving higher for a given speed.

Checking for a slipping clutch is easy and unmistakeable. Give it a snatch of welly in high gear.

I'd say that airbox is fubar. Why did you open it anyway. As said previously, it's just a fact of the steamer, air filter changes come with the whole airbox.  Anything less and you're on your own.

I don't want to come across high handed, but straying from the design parameters is going to open a whole host of issues that the home DIY mechanic is ill prepared for. And reading about mods/ upgrades etc on the internet and trying them for yourself is all great and well until you get into difficulties. Then you go back to basics. You've got to start from a known good.

BruKen

Just had a thought about the slipping clutch suggestion. You've done some engine work. Please tell us you changed oil but didn't use the latest and greatest fully synthetic with anti friction additives yadda yadda yadda and especially MOLYBDENUM in the oil to treat your pride and joy? Wet clutches dont like them. Yeah I done that once on a old XT 500 I did up. Paid over the odds for the oil but nothing was too good for Hilda, except maybe the oil. New clutch plates required too. Was mighty peeved. You know what they say about the best of intentions....

threepot

Maybe coincidence,but the 'high revs' issue is since I've done the airbox 'mod',as pictured? Thought I'd try it after being assured by guy's on HTOC,that it would be fine? Now I'm not so sure? :icon_scratch: I think ive got a spare housing in the shed somewhere. Or buy a new one? Bike was running fine with the kn before.
As for oil..I'm using Castrol Power ,which I think is a full synth?? But it is 'bike specific',so shouldn't effect clutch?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

BruKen

I'd buy new. No point in being master of the half job now.

threepot

Oh well,live and learn :icon_rolleyes:  :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

BruKen

I can go with that. You should see the trail of destruction in my wake. Unfortunately, or is that fortunately?, as my toys have got bigger and bigger and more expensive I have learnt to trust OEM. Last year the running cost of one toy was reduced to £24.4k for the year over the 46k the previous. But that's a whole different story  :icon_lol:

threepot

Got my Super3 to sort next!   :icon_sad:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

BruKen

Quote from: threepot on March 15, 2016, 04:45:42 PM
Got my Super3 to sort next!   :icon_sad:

If it's yellow you'll need a lot of luck. I'm not superstitious, but it's always the yellow ones that give the most issues. :^_^

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on March 15, 2016, 03:27:11 PM
Maybe coincidence,but the 'high revs' issue is since I've done the airbox 'mod',as pictured? Thought I'd try it after being assured by guy's on HTOC,that it would be fine? Now I'm not so sure? :icon_scratch: I think ive got a spare housing in the shed somewhere. Or buy a new one? Bike was running fine with the kn before.
As for oil..I'm using Castrol Power ,which I think is a full synth?? But it is 'bike specific',so shouldn't effect clutch?
Where you've cut the airbox... have you added a seal of some description, such as the 'U' channel in Sin_Tigers write-up? Quite a few people have done the mod with no probs.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14638.0.html

BruKen

Ahhh noo. Dont start that now :ImaPoser  you wouldn't be doing this sort of stuff on your first service off the showroom floor. Think about it. Why now.

threepot

Quote from: BruKen on March 15, 2016, 05:00:49 PM
If it's yellow you'll need a lot of luck. I'm not superstitious, but it's always the yellow ones that give the most issues. :^_^
Inlet valves!!! I've had it from 1998. Put 50k on it,and only needing a crank sensor in that time. But valves have been an issue from about 25k? I checked them last year,and 3 had negative clearance,with the thinnest shims in,and the other 3 not far behind :icon_frown: So its head off job! I had a quote from triumphant in Pontypridd..£400 labour + vat+cost of parts!! I'm borrowing a garage at the moment,and limited in work space etc to take it on :icon_sad:

And yes..it's yellow!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on March 15, 2016, 07:34:42 PM
Where you've cut the airbox... have you added a seal of some description, such as the 'U' channel in Sin_Tigers write-up? Quite a few people have done the mod with no probs.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14638.0.html
I covered it with 'sticky' adhesive tape. And was reassured by guy's on HTOC that it would be OK?? I'll be honest,the bike runs really well. It's just the 'higher' revs thats an issue! I did buy a 19t sprocket to try a while back :augie
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Just a little update. Used the bike several times since doing the airbox mod,and still runs nice. But..I've noticed it 'pops'' a lot on over run,and just very occasionaly on idle? I double checked all the manifold rubbers,and airbox to carb connections prior to re fitting. But a while back,I did notice some pin holes in silencers? Could that be cause?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Any leakage in the exhaust system will contribute to the popping from my own experience. As to the revs, in not so sure.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint