News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

lubing the throttle cable

Started by cba191, April 04, 2016, 11:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

I  don't feel like removing the tank and everything, so i have to ask. Can i lube the throttle cable any other way without causing problems?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

Dyn Blin

Motion Pro makes a nice little adapter to spay lube into clutch line housing for under $10 (eBay clones for less).  Some clear plastic tubing from the local hardware store will do in a pinch.   Itnhelps to seal the " input" side with silicone caulk to keep the output from the little red spray tube from the can from backing up.  Should work through "top" of throttle cable housing too.  Would need to go easy to avoid runoff through the throttle body end. 

Maybe use a Teflon - based formula to minimize mess?
This is why we can't have nice things.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree I've used bicycle Teflon dry lub in the past, applied using a analgesic syringe which works quite well.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

I was going to reply earlier but `aint done it on the Tiger, done it on my old bike but that didn't have heated grips, not sure if that's an issue?? but anyways best to go in from the top with any lube....
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: PeteH on April 08, 2016, 01:00:15 AM
I was going to reply earlier but `aint done it on the Tiger, done it on my old bike but that didn't have heated grips, not sure if that's an issue?? but anyways best to go in from the top with any lube....

Incoming  Carry On references  :tin hat
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

One of these works very well, just detach cable from handlebar end.
I use cycle teflon lube as it dries and does not attract dirt.
The grease based lubes have a propellant which can attack the inner cable liner.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.