News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bad Hiccup At Idle 885i

Started by Dev_1, April 12, 2016, 05:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Could be worth trying the old squirting WD-40 around the inlet area while the engines running. This is a Cali bike isnt it? Has it got all the extra purge tubes etc. Oh, and has it got a scottoiler?
2016 Tiger Sport

Dev_1

Hello all
I didn't mean to offend anyone with my colorful language. Perhaps you've heard the phrase "curse like a sailor"? Well, our language doesn't change much when we take to the sky.

Anyways, I believe I've found where all of the driver files are located and I will proceed with deleting all previous driver files, loading the FTDI file, and seeing if it gives me a code.

Code or no code, I'll be lifting the fuel tank to have a look around. I'll make sure all hose connections are tight...maybe I'll try to lift it just a bit and run the bike. Maybe I can pinpoint the location of the bugger.

While I'm in there, I have an unrestricted airbox to install.  :wheel

Today is a new day, my friends.

Mustang

Quote from: Dev_1 on April 17, 2016, 05:38:01 PM
Hello all
I didn't mean to offend anyone with my colorful language.
:mut

Timbox2

Ummm, just a suggestion but I would get the bike running properly before adding extra mods into the equation. Never before has "If it aint broke dont f&^% with it" been better advice for a bike like the Girly. Scuse my French, you started it :icon_smile:
2016 Tiger Sport

T3mike

Which cable to you get for Tune ecu ? Are you using USB 2 or 3 on your Laptop ?
05 Tiger, 01 Bonnie, 11 VStrom

Dev_1

Alright Chaps,

I am using an OBDII cable. I went back and installed the old version of FTDI and it took. I still wasn't getting "connection" until I read a post that mentioned "kill switch on, gear in neutral". Bingo!

My old Girly had racked up quite a few codes:
P0463 Fuel level sensor circuit high input
P0562 System Low voltage
P0353 Ignition coil 3 circuit malfunctioning
P1315 Ignition coil 3 circuit open/ short to ground
P0230 Fuel pump relay def
P1231 Fuel pump relay open/ short to ground
P0113 Inlet air temp sensor open/ short to battery

well. I have a feeling that blip may be caused by ignition coil 3. I have cleared the faults to see which will return. So far only P0463 has stuck around. Maybe this explains why my fuel gauge reads EMPTY after only 40 miles into a full tank.

With P0353 codes, is this normally a bad coil tube?

Timbox2

Quote from: Dev_1 on April 18, 2016, 06:10:33 AM
Alright Chaps,

...................With P0353 codes, is this normally a bad coil tube?

Others will chime in no doubt, but I would say yes, highly likely, especially as it seems heat related from your first post. If you want to really tie it down, swap no2 and 3 coil packs over, if fault follows coil pack, ta da.  I think BB has a wiring diagram with Pin outs if you want to do end to end cable checks though.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

When Bixxer's looked at mine you could see the coil was down just on the screen shot.

JoeDirt

P0463 Fuel level sensor circuit high input << running bike without tank on bike i.e. nurse tubes...
P0562 System Low voltage << old battery needs a charge...
P0353 Ignition coil 3 circuit malfunctioning << I haven't seen this code before. Very specific.
P1315 Ignition coil 3 circuit open/ short to ground. << Bad coil or not screwed down...
P0230 Fuel pump relay def << starting bike without fuel pump hooked up...
P1231 Fuel pump relay open/ short to ground << starting bike without fuel pump hooked up...
P0113 Inlet air temp sensor open/ short to battery << running bike without airbox on bike with sensor disconnected.

Most can be explained away. Those ones specific to Ignition Coil look extremely suspect. BTW... TuneECU won't tell you if you Head Gasket is bad or if you have an air leak on Throttle Bodies.

Quote from: Timbox2 on April 18, 2016, 07:29:04 AM
Others will chime in no doubt, but I would say yes, highly likely, especially as it seems heat related from your first post. If you want to really tie it down, swap no2 and 3 coil packs over, if fault follows coil pack, ta da.  I think BB has a wiring diagram with Pin outs if you want to do end to end cable checks though.

Sorry Timbox2 beat me to the punch:
Instead of buying a new coil... move it too see if you can make the error move to another cylinder.

Low volts will cause your fuel gauge to drop to zero.

Timbox2

Oh yeah , remember, coil packs are cheap at the moment, well they are in the UK, get in quick I say
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Progress :thumbsup

Like Joe and Tim said, all the codes except the ones for the coil happen when you take the tank off and will clear themselves after three heat up / cool down cycles.  Or you can reset them with TuneECU.

Swapping coil three with coil two will tell you whether it's the loom or the coil stick thus narrowing it down further.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dev_1

You guys rock

thanks for helping with the clarification. I'll try the coil swap. I'll also look for some good new coils while I'm at it, especially if now's the time to buy.

I guess the high volt/ low volt fuel level situation is causing my gauge to be funky. I fueled up today and my gauge only read half tank.

By battery did need a little charge. It is less than 8 months old and it's one of the pretty yellow ones. Hopefully it's not bad.

Bixxer Bob

It should be ok, it was probably after a bit of cranking.  As for the fuel gauge, they all do that.  It plays Truth or Dare for no apparent reason (well, there is, the float sticks)  you learn to fill it full and do 200 miles to a tank and ignore the gauge.  As for the warning light, mine behaves normally at ign on and when starting, but hasn't indicated low fuel for at least the last 5 yrs.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dev_1

Quick update:

After clearing the faults with TuneECU, I installed the TOR map. Upon the first ride, I noticed the engine operation was smoother but idle was very high.
That night I had TuneECU perform an TPS Reset and we are back to normal idle rpm. No new faults, no "hiccups" since.
Last night I modded and installed the airbox that I bought from ebay. K&N filter, restrictor plate eliminated, and coil #3 moved to the #2 cylinder just to see if she starts acting up again.
So far, everything is nice and smooth :knock on wood:
Will take it for a little spin tonight.  :__

Bixxer Bob