News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SW Motech Centre Stand

Started by Timbox2, April 14, 2016, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a SW Motech stand from Squaredeals, getting fed up with the twisted joke of a Triumph stand. Should be here tomorrow so will get some pictures of before and after etc.

2016 Tiger Sport

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Timbox2

Quote from: nickjtc on April 14, 2016, 09:09:24 PM
Good luck with the install.

Sounds ominous?  Cant be any worse than the couple of BMW centre stands Ive wrestled with, Ive got me a muther of a spring puller
2016 Tiger Sport

nickjtc

Only that on a Steamer it can be quite entertaining.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

There is a simple trick to stretching springs for stands that can save you a lot of grief and stop you putting someone's eye out.

Block the bike up so the back wheel is free.
Attach the spring(s) to the frame lug.
Attach a strong piece of rope, wire or strong cable ties to the stand end of the spring, long enough to reach the wheel sprocket or disc depending on which side is on the spring side.
Attach the free end of the rope etc. to the sprocket/disc at about the 8 o'clock position and fasten securely.
Now rotate the wheel to stretch the spring towards the stand hook before pushing it over the hook.
Then just release the tension, cut the rope etc. If it gets stuck under the spring, if there's a little bit left in there, don't worry it won't last long.

I really should write this up with some pictures, it's never failed to work for me, though having an extra pair of hands does help.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Levers and moments, I love levers and moments......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Pretty impressive service from Squaredeals, ordered on the phone at 1pm yesterday, and here when I got home today

2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Couple of hours later

One thing to note, Motech must assume you either dont have a centre stand or you have the original footrest brackets, the OE Triumph stand brackets replace the normal footrest brackets which I dont have, so I had to modify the Triumph stand brackets to reuse. I could have used washers and nuts I suppose but then its a faff to get behind with a spanner.

Ive looked up the OE footrest brackets and they are £10 each so maybe I'll keep an eye out for some S/H ones for later.

Loads easier to get on and off the stand, and the back wheel is off the ground now which is wasnt before
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Remind me to run away if I see you with a hacksaw in your hand  :bug_eye
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 15, 2016, 07:31:47 PM
Remind me to run away if I see you with a hacksaw in your hand  :bug_eye

No hacksaw, that was a disc cutter, much quicker :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

KuzzinKenny

A bit late with this tip but might help others  :icon_rolleyes:

before ya remove a spring like this one and the side stand spring, position the stand so the spring is at its longest and put washers into as many turns of the spring as possible then release the tension on the spring and it should grip the washers, the spring should hopefully just lift off the spring mounts, hope this makes sense  :icon_scratch: :icon_confused:

can't remember who posted this up or where i got it from but it should work  :nod

mind yer fingers  :bad

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

tankerman

It does work a treat. First used that trick 45 years ago and many times since!

Timbox2

It actually went on fairly easily with the stand in the up position, I put the inner smaller spring on first then pulled the big one over the top using a pair of thin nose moles.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Timbox2 on April 16, 2016, 10:43:25 AM
It actually went on fairly easily with the stand in the up position, I put the inner smaller spring on first then pulled the big one over the top using a pair of thin nose moles.

If you mess about with old 2-stroke race bikes a proper hooked spring puller is your friend; it saves no end of barked knuckles etc...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 17, 2016, 10:56:46 PM
If you mess about with old 2-stroke race bikes a proper hooked spring puller is your friend; it saves no end of barked knuckles etc...

I know and Ive got one, but do you think I could find the bugger, I need to sort me tools out like Guy Martin does
2016 Tiger Sport