News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Digital rant !!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by KuzzinKenny, April 19, 2016, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuzzinKenny

Been listenen to me wee dab radio and for a while the "re-tune your radio" add has been  :blah :blah so
i re-tune  :icon_sad: now the signals crap and one O the stations i listened to has gone  :icon_eek:
thanks a fukin bunch  :kboom so i go trawlin the net as ya do for answers and i'm not alone........

"Analogue tv pic was perfect at my house. Digital has all sorts of issues. Fm radio was good, as was medium wave. Digital comes and goes. Who exactly was it that decided we needed to pay for all the gizmos to make our lives worse. Or is it all about interwebbyness conectivity and were all sposed to do everyting via tinterweb someventually they can control what we see, hear, do and have all the info they want about our choices."

copied this as its exactly whats happened where i live  :icon_evil:

WTF is wrong with all this new tech and the saying "its the way forward" CRAP !!  :Topes

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

nickjtc

:iagree I'm with you, Ken.

I have not had a tv for seven years because I refuse to pay the outrageous charges for cable and the multitude of channels they provide, most of which offer absolute crap that they call entertainment. Same with radio. I never thought there would be a time when a radio station would charge us for the dubious pleasure of listening to their stuff.

There is a rapidly growing movement here of people fed up with this supposed techno-advancement, who are reverting back to old fashioned aerials and therefore avoiding the usurious monthly cable fees. Yes, they can only get a handful of stations, but how much rubbish can you watch of an evening, anyway.

My rant over.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

When they switched to digital they dropped the signal strength for FM radio (probably to push people onto DAB). I have  DAB dashboard radio in my motorhome with an amplified aerial on the roof.  IT annoys the hell out of me because it cuts in and out and if it can find the same channel on FM in retunes itself, and then back again when the signal picks up.  Unfortunately that retuning takes a few seconds, and I've tried switching the retune of in the settings menu but it just ignores me and does it anyway.

And all because the wife likes Absolute 80s FFS :BangHead    (That's a DAB radio channel if you were wondering)  She's of that age,,, :icon_rolleyes:

And she doesn't read this  :bad

Don't even get me started on TV.  I have an auto aiming satellite dish on the motorhome as well.  Because I'm a tight sod I bought a Tiawanese product instead of thre vastly inflated caravan shop prices.  It worked well at first but lately it hasn't a clue what it's doing.  Nothing to do with Kenny's DAB, just another rant.

Edit:  I think I've sussed it.  There was a pit of wear on the rubber strip that actuates the parked switch.  So it didn't know when it was parked.  Put some thick tape over it and it seems tp be ok  :*

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I'm not a big fan either, as usual reception in the North is unsurprisingly way behind that of the South.

Content seems to be very regurgitated, with restricted play lists (same track twice on at least one occasion) and negligible presenter input, increased advertising. The conspiracy theorist in me says it's all now automated, honed by algorithms tuned to demographics linked to the numbers tuning in. No high profile overpaid DJ's (maybe not such a bad thing) advertising at a keystroke and create a niche channel with a few mouse clicks.

But most irritating as BB says is the constant flicking around between channels and the reduction in FM signal.

I sometimes wonder if or cousins across the water have a better deal with XM radio?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Hmmm, this is curious. I got a new Skoda Octavia back in December and its the first car Ive had with a DAB radio, and I think its great. Although I do have Planet Rock and I confess Absolute 80's too, I still mainly listen to Radio 2 and 4, the DAB quality seems really good. It does occasionally switch to FM but I only realise when I hear the sound quality change slightly and glance down and see (FM) next to the DAB Info, the switch-over is seamless.  I know a lot of people complain about DAB reception but weirdly I have yet to have any real problems, what is even more puzzling is we cant get Digital Terrestrial TV here at all, sorry, no idea.
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Well I guess the receivers have improved since I last used a mobile one.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Tim's made me wonder if my powered aerial is working  :^_^

Anyway, I used to listen almost exclusively to Radio 2, but our kitchen DAB has internet and I stumbled upon a Russian Blues channel I like so that's usually where I end up now.

http://101.ru/?an=port_channel_mp3&channel=76
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

KuzzinKenny

OK it appears there's a difference between rescan and retune  :m :^_^ as i came across this......

"You may need to do a full retune, not just a rescan or quick retune"

so i need to go find me radio from wherever it landed  :bad and have another go at it and if that don't work i'll need to throw it further  :icon_evil:

it was Planet Rock i lost  :icon_evil:

KK

"Comrade Bixxer got da blues  :ImaPoser:mut
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

:bad

Seriously though, if you like blues music, it's a great place to go....

JayDub

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on April 20, 2016, 09:52:14 PM
:bad

Seriously though, if you like blues music, it's a great place to go....
and speaking of which, I came across this lot recently, Terakaft - a band from North Mali, well worth a listen if yer like yer blues:

https://terakaft.bandpage.com

Bixxer Bob

I'm more traditional, like this:

Winter - "Why play one note when ten will do"???

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

John Stenhouse

The difference between analogue and digital was explained to me thus:

With a digital signal it's either there or not

An analogue signal can degrade to a large degree and still make a picture or a radio signal

That's why DAB and Digital TV either is there or not whilst "old"tech still works fine
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

The same as old HF phones and GSM, we don't even think about that these days, so maybe in another 5 years it'll be the same i.e. we won't be able to get a signal in the Highlands  :icon_rolleyes: