News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Output shaft seal leak(Fixed)

Started by Timbox2, April 30, 2016, 04:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

Happened to see a drop of oil hanging from the sump plug today. On closer examination It seemed to be coming from behind the sprocket cover.

Reckon that confirms it, that was clean 2 months ago when I put the new C & S kit on

All cleaned up for now, Fowlers have the seal, only £5, I'll pick one up Tuesday when Im in Bristol, shouldnt be too bad a job, the Haynes manual doesnt cover replacing the seal on its own, but Im sure it should pull out with a couple of self tapers.
2016 Tiger Sport

PeteH

Quote from: Timbox2 on April 30, 2016, 04:38:16 PM
but Im sure it should pull out with a couple of self tapers.

And if it doesn't ?
Cant say you see many of them failed on here and I suspect from how clean it is you don't use a scot oiler or other messy chain lube as they tend to collect and congeal in the sprocket cover only to start dripping once the engine gets hot....
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Timbox2

Quote from: PeteH on May 01, 2016, 01:39:26 AM
And if it doesn't ?
Cant say you see many of them failed on here and I suspect from how clean it is you don't use a scot oiler or other messy chain lube as they tend to collect and congeal in the sprocket cover only to start dripping once the engine gets hot....

Your right in regards to the Tiger, I cant remember hearing about another one. But what is curious is on other forums Ive found reference to it being quite a common failure on Daytona's and Sprints with the same engine, even found a how to with pictures and the guy used the self tapper extraction method. My bike had a scottoiler when I bought it and I removed it, it wasnt working anyway and I hate em, yes I use Wurth Dry Lube, 2 minutes every few hundred miles with a spray can to me is worth avoiding all the crud a scottoiler brings.
2016 Tiger Sport

JayDub

Quote from: Timbox2 on May 01, 2016, 06:23:15 AM
Your right in regards to the Tiger, I cant remember hearing about another one. But what is curious is on other forums Ive found reference to it being quite a common failure on Daytona's and Sprints with the same engine, even found a how to with pictures and the guy used the self tapper extraction method. My bike had a scottoiler when I bought it and I removed it, it wasnt working anyway and I hate em, yes I use Wurth Dry Lube, 2 minutes every few hundred miles with a spray can to me is worth avoiding all the crud a scottoiler brings.
:thumbsup Nice one Tim!
(one mans  :Topes is another mans treasure  :notworthy  :icon_wink: )
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Chris Canning

You sure it's leaking Tim and not general shit and chain lube cuz I've had the same and thought the same!! Nice job of cleaning it up by the way  :icon_wink:

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 01, 2016, 02:38:33 PM
You sure it's leaking Tim and not general :Topes and chain lube cuz I've had the same and thought the same!! Nice job of cleaning it up by the way  :icon_wink:

Fairly certain it was engine oil, and in certain places it was clean oil, but what Im gonna do is use the bike Tuesday to go to Bristol and then take the cover off again and have a look.

Oh yeah, and another Wurth product for the clean up, Ultra 2040, their take on WD-40 I suppose but it seems to shift grease better and brings anything black up like new, metal or plastic.
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Got round to replacing the seal today, fairly easy actually.

Having a problem with photobucket at moment so pics and how I did it to follow, ok, we'll try again

I drilled two very small holes  and then carefully screwed a couple of pozidrives in after grinding the points off, you need to go really slowly, you'll see why in a moment. As it happens one good tug on the R/H screw and it popped out

Thats why, thats the output shaft bearing right behind and you dont want to drill through the seals of that

New seal in, I put a tiny smear of RTV round the outside edge just for good measure, the seal edge has a one way chamfer that allows it to be pushed in fairly easily with just your thumbs but it then locks into the channel of the case

Spoilt her with a new lock washer, and yes I did bend 1 edge down afterwards.

Quick roadtest up over Manmoel common, but Ill use her for a few days and then just pop the cover off to check all is well. I took my time and took the wheel off which isnt necessary really but I wanted to clean the wheel spacers and swingarm up but I reckon start to finish for the seal was an hour maybe
2016 Tiger Sport

Thierry

After a 500 kms ride today, I had the same oil drop (on the ground). It is not grease s#%it from the chain but clean and clear oil. Would you mind sharing the ref number for the seal please? I will order it and change it once the chain and sproket are toasted  (~ 20000 kms on it).  For now I'll keep it like that and check that it does not get worse (and check my oil level!).  Thanks.

Actually, I wonder if that leak is related to the fact that the dealer tightened the chain too much during the 20000k check up. I have at best 10 mm play when on the sidestand. And I can feel the gears are not shifting as smoothly as before the check-up. I need to give it more loose. Easy now that the Motech centerstand is installed  :icon_mrgreen:
"Did it go as planned? No, but it was part of the plan!

Timbox2

Ive only got the Triumph no,  T3600112, but its only £5 so no point looking for an alternative.  I've probably got 50mm slack on the side stand, though more importantly I've got plenty of slack with me sat on the bike. To be honest, with the Wilbers shock I could probably get away with less as the suspension doesn't compress anywhere  near as much. Ive done 1000 miles since and its still clean as a whistle under the cover.
2016 Tiger Sport

Thierry

"Did it go as planned? No, but it was part of the plan!

JayDub

"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Bigfeesh

Replaced mine over the winter, the seal tube was well rusted up, that would be the main reason I reckons. It can be a problem to positively ID the source of the oil leak but as has been discussed the seal is cheap and not too difficult to change. :thumbsup
Tiptop

t4tiger

Hi. Before I attempt the seal replacement can I confirm that I do not have to drain the engine oil first. Many thanks

Timbox2

Quote from: t4tiger on May 16, 2017, 02:22:11 PM
Hi. Before I attempt the seal replacement can I confirm that I do not have to drain the engine oil first. Many thanks

You dont mate.
2016 Tiger Sport

t4tiger