News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Annual Sojourn

Started by Bixxer Bob, May 10, 2016, 11:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I'm off to France this afternoon; not going far this year as I'm not sure yet how I'll bear up to hours in the saddle (ask me tonight... :icon_rolleyes:)

That's not quite true actually, I'm stopping in Winchester tonight as it's an 8am ferry Wed and I don't want to be leaving home at 3.30 in the morning.  I'l meet up with the usual two at the M3 servicies on Wed morning before pushing on to Portsmouth.  We'll arrive at Bayeaux for 4 days mid afternoon hopefully then short days out to the D Day landings beaches returning Sunday.

So far, I can't muster the enthusiasm to pack the bike; I'm leaving at about 2pm and right now it's pissing down.   :BangHead

Edit: I've been poring over the BBC weather maps looking for hope, and I might get less wet if I leave it another hour so we'll see.   I always come back from these trips buzzing, but  right now (and as usual) I'm wondering why I do this .... :m
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

In a bit the sun will come out and you'll remember why.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Lucky you to be able to visit such historic sites. Snug up the rain gear and have at it!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

It was damp / drizzling till the M3 but dry the last 50 miles so I'd dried out by the time I arrived.  I'm staying in Winchester at a B&B run an interesting old lady called Christine who rents out her spare room to help make ends meet. 6.30 start tomorrow and weather looks OK.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I hate to tell you this but it's actually been uncomfortably hot up here  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KuzzinKenny

Jeez !! you get around for a sick guy  :icon_eek: :ImaPoser :rfl  :bad

have a safe trip and keep out O the potholes as we dont want any undoin O the surgery  :nono

:thumbsup

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

We had a nice relaxing few days with not so many miles, just 700 in total, there and back.  Weather was mostly good after the rain going down; we visited Bayeaux, Pegasus Bridge and a couple of beaches.

The :OO-shaped cake is a Duc De Normandie - a dollop of egg custard on top of an apple tart and I can vouch for the local apple brandy known as Calvados.  :friday

The cafe is on Pegasus Bridge and the first building in France to be liberated at 00.17hrs 6 Jun 1944.  The para hanging from the church tower is representing an actual event during the invasion.  The cemetary is American and stretches as far as you can see.  The cathedral is in BAyeaux.

We also did the Suize Normandie route whcih I can also recommend.  IT's mostly twisty single track roads so quite slow, but scenic; supposedly looking like Switzerland.  I wouldn't know, I've never been  :icon_rolleyes:

nickjtc

Thanks for the pics. Coincidentally I watched 'Longest Day' last night.

Chris Canning

While on the way back from Le-Mans in april the Caen/Portsmouth ferry broke down mid channel and after a lot of French huffing and puffing dumped us off in Cherbourg at 6am in the morning so with an extra day to fill ended up in the same place at 730am and not a living sole about.

The actual guy hanging on the clock died in 1969

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 17, 2016, 11:32:43 PM
The actual guy hanging on the clock died in 1969

Red Buttons is dead?  :ImaPoser
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

1969 !! I'm amazed he lasted that long hanging up there!

But seriously..was there 2yrs ago. Love the history around there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Steele_(paratrooper)
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

I actually thought he was shot by the Germans but he played dead and when the Americans took the town got him down.

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 20, 2016, 12:08:24 PM
I actually thought he was shot by the Germans but he played dead and when the Americans took the town got him down.

That was the cinematic version of the tale  :icon_wink: