News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cooling fan switch replacement

Started by JayDub, June 14, 2016, 05:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I bought the parts, (switch, seal and retainer) I checked the service manual, it says the switch is a bayonet fitting? Sin found his was glued in, is this normal? Do I need some kind of adhesive or sealant on the bayonet part or should I just gob on it and twist it in?   :bad

It seems the switch is a tight fit in the seal once fitted into the retainer, and will be enough to keep it in even under a reasonably high pressure.

London_Phil

Manual does not mention glue or sealant. It suggests you check and replace seal if required.
I would use a small amount of  blue Hylomar or equiv on it.
The twisting action of the ring must lock the seal in place, but even with a new seal, a little non setting sealant can't hurt?

Sin_Tiger

There is a plastic cap with lugs on it that sits over the switch and takes a 1/4 turn (clockwise I think) if my memory is good then the cap can only be fitted one way and then can only be turned one way.

Sorry I didn't take note or pictures  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

This is the 3 parts... and then assembled, The inside of the seal tightens as its pushed into the retainer then its a job to get the switch into the seal, it seems straight forward enough but Sins glued one threw me a bit.  What I was worried about is if I used something which caused the switch to pop out of the seal under pressure, but I really don't think it needs it, maybe just a bit of HT silicone on the bayonet connection.
It also says on the seal 'do not re-use' - just so we all know  :icon_study:

Timbox2

I know nothing about Steamers, but that set-up dont look right. Surely the seal goes into the Rad, then the switch into the seal, then the retainer over the top and twist
2016 Tiger Sport

GavD

:iagree
Just had a look in the haynes manual, seal goes into Rad, switch into seal, plastic cover over the top.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

That's the order, you'll see when you come to take the old one out but I'd put the switch into the seal before trying to squeeze it into the casing. I found keeping pressure on the outer rim of the switch body to prevent damage to the switch insulation and terminals.

The glue / locking fluid was only a blob on the outer edge of the retaining ring against the slot of radiator tank body.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

:icon_redface: Yes Tim... when I pulled it out it all became clear, what I didn't know was that the cap on the retainer needs to be snapped off -then it looks like its a retainer :icon_lol: in my defence - I'm a numpty  :icon_rolleyes:
Anyhow... its back together now and its working.
Thanks guys!

JayDub

Quote from: GavD on June 15, 2016, 10:04:52 PM
:iagree
Just had a look in the haynes manual, seal goes into Rad, switch into seal, plastic cover over the top.
Yup, got it now, thanks Gav...BTW, hijacking my own thread... if Ted or Mo wants a proper bike, I noticed this for sale on your island;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252427005900?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

:icon_wink:

Timbox2

It all works out in the end, thats the main thing. At least people spanner on this site, eh Chris :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport

GavD

Quote from: JayDub on June 16, 2016, 02:55:25 PM
Yup, got it now, thanks Gav...BTW, hijacking my own thread... if Ted or Mo wants a proper bike, I noticed this for sale on your island;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252427005900?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

:icon_wink:
Good spot JD, Mo has just sold a GPZ9 for a grand, and has said he'd like another one (he had mine for just a few weeks 14 years ago).
Looks like it's got a few nice bits on it too! i'm almost tempted myself.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

Quote from: GavD on June 16, 2016, 08:24:21 PM
Good spot JD, Mo has just sold a GPZ9 for a grand, and has said he'd like another one (he had mine for just a few weeks 14 years ago).
Looks like it's got a few nice bits on it too! i'm almost tempted myself.
Had a 900r meself, A7 model, sold it in 2008 and had a clean licence since  :icon_biggrin: it ate pads, rear tyres and c&s... nice though.