News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mashed my Steamer AGAIN ! Is it worth it?

Started by Danwarb, May 09, 2016, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2016, 11:28:56 AM
"Bikedecals" are very good but no matter how good, they will never come close to the original arrangements. So if you want it to look right and in assuming you do or you wouldn't have bothered with this post and have been at it with a rattle can. You'll have to do both panels and the tank back to base colour first.

Yes I do LOVE the Steamer in it's original design but I'm not a total purist !

Do you think it's possible to get a good finish with a rattle can?

Does all the paint need to be removed before spraying?

The decals then go on the paint then It's then finished with a clear lacquer right?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Danwarb

Yes !

The left and right panel plus the tail fairing section all for £70 including postage. I bought them from seeing good photos so I'm confident I'll be delighted in fitting these and simply polishing them to sparkle !

:wings

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

Good find. Now see if you can do that trick with crash bars.

If you have to ask about the finish from a rattle can, better get a professional to do the job.

Don't throw your old bits away.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2016, 05:03:53 PM
Good find. Now see if you can do that trick with crash bars.

If you have to ask about the finish from a rattle can, better get a professional to do the job.

Don't throw your old bits away.

Thanks Sin !

Yes I'm definitely keeping all my bits. This Steamer I bought also came with a spare tank which I thought nothing of at the time but now see I can sort the spinning nuts in it, polish it up then fit it which will sort out the remaining nasty scrapes. I can then one day look at a professional re-spray of all the fairing parts.

I'm on the case with crash bars now !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

They are certainly getting good reviews here and the price is very good.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fishnbiker

Try using a black felt pen to colour in the scratches. Then tell wild stories about it all came about.

Evidence of what I put mine through ...
https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Felix-The-Tiger/
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

ghulst

Hey Fishnbiker, in some pictures your Tiger has a translucent protection thing on the headlights. What is that and how do you mount it?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

fishnbiker

Quote from: ghulst on May 28, 2016, 09:16:21 AM
Hey Fishnbiker, in some pictures your Tiger has a translucent protection thing on the headlights. What is that and how do you mount it?

I think you might be looking at the plastic screen door material silicone glued over the fairing. Later pix may show 2 wire mesh screens riveted over the lights.

Seems like it's also time to update my pix. Lots from recent rides to California & Utah. Stay tuned.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE