News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Loosening the front sprocket bolt

Started by Aeschere, September 18, 2022, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Hello all,

Today we had to wrap up the reanimation of the Tiger. We did a full run over, changed some switches, lights, bolts. Checked and adjusted the shims, gave her new fluids and made sure that she was able to properly stop.

One thing that isn't completely necessary yet, but was nice to do while the bike was being opened anyway, was to replace the sprockets and chain. However, no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get any movement in the front sprocket bolt. We even twisted our tools instead of making the bolt move. An impact driver didn't do much good and we even tried to heat it up a bit but to no avail.

In the end we just gave up, closed up the bike and called it a day. For now, the chain and sprockets are ok, but they will need to be replaced so time soon.
How do you handle this stuck bolt? Put a Dremel to it and try to cut it open? Anything else that we might not have thought about?

Thanks in advance!

Sin_Tiger

Support your socket and extension so that you are not putting any angular forces on the nut or risking it slipping off. Don't waste your time with 1/2" drive tools, beg borrow or steal 3/4" impact tools and find the longest breaker bar you can lay your hands on. Similarly with the heat, you need heat precisely on the nut and quickly, MAP gas blow torches just won't do it, get someone with with Ox/Ac kit if the brute force alone won't do it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mart

I had to cut my front sprocket nut off with a small grinder.

Sin_Tiger

This demonstrates the set up but not the actual socket and bar I normally use  :augie  it allows a lot more force to be applied with reduced risk of the socket slipping.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Aeschere

We didn't have that long a rod from the socket to the lever but that was about what it looked like. It was a steel tool, but even those can twist it seems.

Just be sure that we aren't being total fools; the bolt is a regular nut that loosens when turning left (to the front) right?

Sin_Tiger

Yes, normal RH thread, Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty  ;)

Beernard

Bit of a bugger, Aeschere. I would read Sin's advice very carefully and add it to your plan. Heat is awesome as is an impact driver. Not for everyone but an old Caterpillar mechanic told me to "hit in on the head". He meant to smack the nut or bolt with a hammer. Use a punch to minimise damage. Personally, I have the bike out of gear if I am using the impact driver. Moving on, I don't use the impact driver to tighten things like this (there's a lock washer which actually works). My choice but I don't want to get in the same position again.
Good luck.
Ripper, woke up again.

Aeschere

Thanks for your suggestions. For now, the chain and sprockets are within spec so there is no immediate need to replace them.

I am having a meeting with someone with a big garage soon. He is quite sure he can get the bolt loose, especially with some high powered tools. If that is the case, I will change it all out by the end of the year, I don't feel so bad about giving the bike some new oil by then.

Madruss

1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!