News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Urgent: Bike died suddenly while driving

Started by Aeschere, June 06, 2016, 06:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

It is very difficult to set the float heights to an identical setting, which means fuel starvation is usually characterized by the dropping of a cylinder and then some stumbling. Definitely agree with the others it is electrical. Probably TLF.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

check for more white gunk in the carbs  :nod

BTW the white stuff is nylon plastic flaking off the inside of the tank .  :bug_eye
been there done that

I had a tank that was so bad it now sits in the attic because I got tired of cleaning white stuff out of the carbs and filters

I seriously doubt you have an ignition sender problem

Sin_Tiger

If it starts up again when cool the pick up coil would be a prime candidate. Try running it with a portable fuel tank to eliminate the tank / petcock.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Aeschere

Right, charged the battery again, hooked it up and voila, the bike starts in one go. I also checked the sensor readings and they were way off. So, I guess I drop an e-mail to the dealer or order a new one from world of triumph.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Aeschere

One more question, what do you guys think of imitation stuff? The local triumph dealer is suggesting a PVL make instead of the regular Gill that is usually fitted.

This is the part he is suggesting (yes, the website address is iffy at best ;) )

http://www.worldoftriumph.eu/index.php?route=product/product&path=104&product_id=352

JayDub

As far as I know it's a reputable company.  both brands are used by Triumph, he may be making the suggestion based on the fact that PVL (AKA Nology) coils are considered superior quality to GIL... and cheaper on ebay:
GIL=
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-900-Carb-Crank-Position-Sensor-Ignition-Pick-Up-Trigger-Coil-/291478181554?hash=item43dd7416b2:m:mPPBJdx0Mc474_Bhb2xjylQ

or PVL =
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Crank-Position-Sensor-Trigger-Pick-Up-Coil-PVL-for-Triumph-Tiger-900-Carb-/291350245992?hash=item43d5d3f268:g:chYAAOSwo6lWQdko

Sin_Tiger

Don't buy GILL, PVL are the choice if you're replacing like fir like. NOLOGY are PVL in drag.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Aeschere

The sensor arrived yesterday, unfortunately without a new gasket so I hope I can reuse the one that is fitted now. It looks like it will stop raining tonight so hopefully I can replace the sensor and see how the bike reacts to it.

JayDub

Quote from: Aeschere on August 03, 2016, 03:04:50 PM
The sensor arrived yesterday, unfortunately without a new gasket so I hope I can reuse the one that is fitted now. It looks like it will stop raining tonight so hopefully I can replace the sensor and see how the bike reacts to it.
You may be able to remove the old gasket intact using care and a sharp blade, then refit with a smear of silicone.  (I didn't have a gasket so used just silicone sealant, its still good 2yrs on) and apply some around the rubber grommet where the cable goes through - don't forget the 0.7mm air gap.

Aeschere

Just fitted the sensor and the bike started first go and kept running. I left it running idle for about 10 minutes and it ran without a stutter.
I suited up and drove 15km without any issues so the problem seems to be fixed!

Before I can return to using it for commuting and some longer distances there are still a few things that need to be done:

- Synchronize the carbs
- Check the air gap (is that needed when the bike is running fine?)
- Fit a new gasket with some sealant. It fits for now and there is no oil leakage but I am not sure it is water proof.

Stay tuned for another episode! Thanks for the help so far!

Sin_Tiger

If it's not leaking oil, it's not likely you'll get water in unless you go swimming with it.

Jmo1son

Hello, new to the forum.  I'm having the exact issue as the OP. I already ordered a new pick up coil. My question is , do I need to drain the oil before I install it? The manual doesn't specify? Thank you.

Mustang

No oil will leak out ....with bike on side stand especially

Also set the air gap at about the thickness of a matchbook or business card . :icon_wink:

Jmo1son