News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What to change next?

Started by Harry, June 07, 2016, 07:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Quote from: Chris Canning on June 07, 2016, 10:13:57 PM
Current price of batteries just not worth the hassle,the one I took out of my Tiger last year was fine but if I can squeeze 3 years then they are gone and current will be less because I'm going lithium next.

I hope you don't ride in the cold.  Lithium sucks when the temps drop (or just as bad on a 100 degree day you get stuck in traffic).  They simply go to sleep and won't work.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Harry

Changed battery to a Motobatt. No improvement.  :icon_scratch:
Was getting very perturbed by this point. Checked AC output between pairs of wires ex-stator and two of the three were way down on where they should have been and had been. Seems the outputs were okay when engine was cold, but started to drop off as the engine began to warm up.
New stator ordered and fitted. Another electrex G75. Figured that as it was next day delivery and cheaper than Electrosport I'd give them a second chance ... could be fine with the better stator fitted.
Did 180 miles yesterday on a beer and cheese ride. Ran sweetly. Voltmeter showing 13.8volts when riding. Dropped to 12.6v sat with engine ticking over at petrol station in Settle ... some friends seem to have petrol capacity issues on their non-Tiger bikes.
I'm happy again. :icon_biggrin:

Chris Canning

Quote from: benebob on June 12, 2016, 03:16:40 AM
I hope you don't ride in the cold.  Lithium sucks when the temps drop (or just as bad on a 100 degree day you get stuck in traffic).  They simply go to sleep and won't work.

Well you can only talk as you find but I've run one on another bike for well on the way to 3 years and it's not been fantastic.