News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Givi tankbag tanklock system BF05 fits the Steamer

Started by harre, June 07, 2016, 09:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

I just fitted an XS307 Givi tankbag on the Steamer.
http://www.givi.it/soft-bags/Tank%20Bags/XS307%20TANKLOCK
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs307-tanklock-tankbag#overview_tab

The tankbag clicks on to a ring that is fastened with three screws on the tanklock. This ring is bike specific and Givi does not list the Steamer, but after a short walkabout I saw that the tanklock on the Yamaha FJR1300 is the same as on the Steamer, thus the same ring fits!  :icon_biggrin: The ring (flange) model is BF05.

It the tankbag comes too close to the handlebars its possible to adjust the position of the attachment ring on the bag about five cm in each direction. It is held in place with four screws. I think the middle position will work, but I will have to adjust the handlebar angle a bit.

Sin_Tiger

Good find Sir  :notworthy

I'm a fan of these systems. Just one caution, a small bag like you show is OK but if you intend using a bigger bag (you will stuff more gear / weight in it just because you can) choose a bag that sits close to the shape of the tank so that most of the weight is resting directly on the tank rather than putting the load through the mounting screws. If you worry about the paint getting rubbed, put a tank pad or clear plastic film under the rear.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

P3aK

I just bought the GIVI XS308, it's a bit bigger (20L) and is shaped more like our tank.

At Louis.eu they list our Tigers with that exact mounting plate on the tank lid. As well as the Yamaha 1300 you mentioned.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

harre

Quote from: P3aK on June 08, 2016, 06:01:18 PM
I just bought the GIVI XS308, it's a bit bigger (20L) and is shaped more like our tank.

At Louis.eu they list our Tigers with that exact mounting plate on the tank lid. As well as the Yamaha 1300 you mentioned.

Louis is really good! Great customer service.
Can u post a pict with the tank bag mounted?

P3aK

Sorry for the delay! I had to go work out of country rather suddenly.

It doesn't interfere with my handle bars even when steering lock is engaged. My only problem is that my phone holder is now so low that it's partly hidden from view. I'll have to get one of those adjustable ones.
Those "cell phone pouches" on either sides and back are a one piece removable. They can be used as a stomach pouch (god awful things). I'll let mine stay on for now. But might remove completely after next camping trip if I don't use them.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup that looks a real good fit, interested to see how you feel after a longer ride  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

steamer 96

Few years ago I purchased a bag from Sin Tiger and the modified mounting bracket for SW Motech luggage,  I found the bag quite small as I pack big  :icon_wink: so I cut the flaps  :bug_eye from an old Oxford magnetic tank bag and bolted the Motech bracket to the Oxford tank bag creating a fantastic big wide bag that fits the tank shape...

I don't leave home without it   :wave 

P3aK

I'm not impressed at all with my current bag and ring. Three times it has come off during riding and I'm just lucky nothing bad has happened. I've kind of caught it with my elbows and kept it on the tank while rolling to a stop.

I use the safety strap around the handlebar so it can't fall off completely. But I could definitely see it impair steering while in a corner or something.

It's been far from overpacked or too heavy all of the times. Will investigate during winter time if something can be done. Vibrations and too small margins in the quick lock obviously. Might have been unlucky and got a shitty peice,  how knows..
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

rf9rider

Looking at the mounting ring on top of the tank, what would concern me is rainwater collecting in it and ending up in the tank?

Or am i paranoid................

P3aK

I guess it could be a valid concern.

It isn't really water tight flush against the tank lid. And the ring itself is 2 peices that mount together so again it isn't really water tight.

However I did have problems with water in the tank before I mounted the ring and it became worse after I mounted it. So it does have some effect.

I have since fixed the rubber plate that seals the tank lid and cleared out the drain pipe that was full of crude. And I've not had any problems since then, any water that goes through,  drains away under the tank.

But I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea with some small drain holes in the base of the ring it self.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

AlexAlex

Cool bag, never used one, but I think I need to try, looks very convenient, I have nowhere to put the spare parts for my bike, best spark plugs for harley davidson, only question is how well this bag attaches and does not interfere while riding?

ssevy

I use a Mosko Moto Hood tank bag. Very easy in and out, waterproof, and pretty roomy. Two clicks to hinge it back when filling the fuel tank. Love mine.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ssevy

I may not be big, but I'm slow.

gcloys

:>< Good info. I'm using an old Marsee. I'm Southern Apps. SC.  I honeymooned in Hammondsport, love the Upstate, whether NY or SC. https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/114330.html

Sin_Tiger

The Mosko Moto gear is good quality, starting to get pricey now though.