News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Low Speed Handlebar Wooble

Started by Flying Tiger, June 06, 2005, 04:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Tiger

Since I've owned my used "03 Tiger I've noticed at low speeds (about 5-20 mph) I have noticed a very slight occilation in my handlebars.  It's visible in the handle bars as I take my hands off the off the handle bars at those speeds.  It seems to disappear at speeds above 20mph and have no problems with handling at any speed.  I've had it up to 110 mph with no noticable problems.  My first guess is the front wheel balance is not balanced for the low speeds, but is fine for the higher speeds.  

Is this anything that I need to be concerned with?

The bike has got about 17,000 miles on it to date.

NortonCharlie

My 1st guess if you have Metzler Tourance tires is a bad front tire.  There is nothing visible from looking at the tire (unless it has alot of miles on and is cupped badly).  You should also check for steering head bearing adjustment, rear wheel alignment, and tire balance.

On mine the bad tire also caused a mild vibration in the bars are higher speeds, but that is something you may notice when it goes away.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Brock

I think you'll find most bikes will waggle the bars a little at low speed if you take your hands off the bars. They're meant to be ridden with both hands on.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Flying Tiger

Thanks for the replies.  I do have Metzler Tourance tires but I will check the head bearing and keep both hands on the grips.   :D

NortonCharlie

Flying Tiger,

Are you by chance heading to Arkansas for the Tiger Ride in this weekend?

I am heading down from Iowa Wednesday should be a great time and plenty of camping available

Charlie

BTW, It is a good idea to keep your hands on the bars, but it is nice to know you wouldn't have to.  Mine was real bad around 35.  Swapped the tire and it is dead stable all the time.  I got my bad tire the day before the 1st Tiger ride in in Osage beach MO.  Everone kept telling me it something else.  I even put on a new back tire before it was worn out.  Finally after about 5000 miles, I bought a new tire and all was good again.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

ArizonaKid

Badly cupped front tire will cause that, as mentioned.  Don't think it's the head bearings, but. . .
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger