News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I burt the Tiger

Started by echoyankee, June 04, 2005, 04:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

echoyankee

I was on my way home from a downtown errand and noticed the bike running fine, but not sounding right.  There was some noticeable valve noise and some pinging.  Paused at a traffic signal and coolant started emerging from the expansion tank.  Got home a fraction of a mile later with a very hot Tiger.  

I phoned in where I had just had 28K service interval performed and asked about a plan of action.  (Coolant was changed at 28K.)  I'm  not interested in riding the bike out to the dealership if I'm going to cook it again in the process.  Well, turns out that the water pump impeller is probably not a viable culprit given it's sturdy construction in the 955i engine.  HOWEVER, a stuck thermostat is a more likely scenario and something that I am entertaining addressingin my own (sub professionally equipped) garage.  

A "Stuck" thermostat, to me, implies a mechanical mechanism based probably on something that expands in response to temperature and then an electrical sender which engages the cooling system.  

I am embarrassed to tell you all that I have no idea where the thermostat is aboard the Tiger and want to learn more about how the thermostat works and also solicit opinions on how to proceed.  

Tomorrow will find me on the web looking for a service manual.

Thanks for your time and patience with my request.  

Best,

echoyankee

NortonCharlie

There is a very good chance thare is a bubble in the cooling system if the coolant was just changed.  You might be able to get it out by warming it up and letting it suck the coolant back out of the overflow tank.  You will need to fill it several times.  It is really supposed to be done with the fuel tank off so you can get to everything to fill it.  You should be alright as long as you don't let it get to hot.

I am guessing the overflow tank was sucked dry as it cooled down.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Quote from: "echoyankee"I

I phoned in where I had just had 28K service

A "Stuck" thermostat, to me, implies a mechanical mechanism based probably on something that expands in response to temperature and then an electrical sender which engages the cooling system.  

I'm a bit puzzled here. In the UK, Triumphs are service every 6000 miles. 28K ??  I know your gallons are different but not miles.

Anyway, your thermostat could have stuck closed. The thermostat is a simple mechanical device which opens the pipe from the engine to the radiator at a certain temperature. When it is closed, it allows the engine to warm up quicker. All the time the engine is at operating temperature, it should be open and if the engine gets hot (in traffic) the fan should cut in and cool things down. There is no electrical switch on the thermostat.

echoyankee

As the motorcycle did well starting out from the dealership after (what must have been) 24K service I had no troubles, I don't know if I can go for the bubble theory, but I can't dismiss it outright.  

BlkTiger:  Thanks for the education on the thermostat.  I totally needed it.  I think my next step will be to try to examine said thermostat and see what it's condition is.

Again, thanks for your ideas.

Best,

echoyankee

echoyankee,

Check out thread # 1366. This could be the problem with yours. The coolant is changed at the 24K service and it could be that the incompetant that did the job didn't bleed all the air out of the system.