News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headgasket Leak?

Started by ktmhk53, June 21, 2005, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktmhk53

Greetings,

I've just noticed what I think is a headgasket leak on my '99 Tiger. The right, rear corner of the headgasket was moist, but not dripping, prior to startup, but after being wiped dry and a 20 minute ride, no longer appeared to be leaking. As the amount was so small, it was difficult to tell if the liquid was oil or coolant.

Is this a common/acceptable trait of these engines, can the outer head-cylinder bolts simply be tightened slightly, or does the headgasket need to be replaced?

The engine oil looks OK, and a look in the overflow tank reveals a "brown" surface scum, but I've not checked below it to see if the coolant is clear.

Thanks for your help.   :D

ktmhk53

barjan

search and you'll find loads of info

Never seen scum in the coolant tank, only a dropped coolant level.[/url]

Kill Switch

My '99 does this when the temp is below 40F then goes away after warm up.  Never does it in warm weather.