News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

England and the EU

Started by aeronca, June 24, 2016, 06:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 25, 2016, 01:17:49 PM
What about the other three constituent parts of the UK?

Well, two of those voted remain and are trying to see whether they can remain, right? ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Well I'm not sure (and I don't think anyone can day that they are) that's possible under the current rules as its unlikely anyone seriously considered this situation when they made the rules.

I heard a snippet that the Netherlands were considering having a referendum now also?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

:) No, there is one populist guy that is really right wing that wants NL to get out of the EU. Most of us have better sense than that, as about 80% of our GDP is obtained in relation to EU. So, even though that might be a minority that would want that referendum, I think the UK situation and subsequent economic consequences are hitting hard enough to put that off.

And I think it is more than likely that your country (Scotland) will have a second independence referendum if the UK pushes ahead and triggers article 50 for leaving the UK. (Even though I think this is becoming more and more unlikely.) However, that is only if the Scottish parliament doesn't veto the triggering of article 50 in the first place. But a second independence referendum would have a very different result when the UK is moving out of the EU as Scotland wants to stay in. That is what your PM has said. She wants to make that move, and legally they can.

(And then we've got Sinn Fein suggesting Ireland reunites and getting quite some positive response on this. And we've got suggestions of Spain and Gibraltar...)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

It is all a bit scary whoever and wherever you are. Keep making good cheese and you'll always have a market here  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Quote from: iansoady on June 25, 2016, 01:01:41 PM
I spent several hours on Thursday canvassing for a Remain vote. And I'm afraid that very many of the people who told me (often very rudely) that they were voting Out gave immigration as their principal reason.

What I find sad is that only 17 million people out of a population of almost 70 million voted out yet we all have to abide by their decision.

I agree that the whole campaign has been characterised by slogans and half truths. It is a complex subject and of course there are cogent arguments on both sides but no-one ever seems interested in nuance. The whole thing is only going to increase intolerance and division.

I voted out and I'm no racist and to be frank sick of people either telling me that or inferring that. I voted out because I have grave doubts on how the EU was being run and the fact we give them £161 million pounds a week only to be told that the EU gives us lots of money, for instance Cornwall gets £85 million a year of the EU that was to stop in 2020 I believe, so £85 mil is a day and half's contribution from this country to the EU.
They were calling for a fully federal Europe which in a lot of ways I don't particularly have a problem with but when I asked what are they going to do to sort the EU's problems out I got no answer, what were they prepared to do about Greece, unemployment in Spain, Portugal Italy and with the problems in the French economy, I could get no answers, as just like the "brexit" they don't have answers they were so convinced it would never happen.
Did we stay in and wait for to implode or did we jump I voted jump, better to be in the life raft than on a sinking ship. The EU have now woken up to the fact it will loose 15% of it's income

only 17 million voted but that was the majority and it was a democratic vote, I have heard lots about young kids saying that the old have given there future away, well only 38% of those under 24 who could vote actually turned out to vote, if anyone gave it away it was them. 

If Scotland wants to go then good for them, I'm for any man having the freedoms he deserves   

cheers Spud   

Ossian

Quote from: Spud on June 27, 2016, 04:27:57 PM
If Scotland wants to go then good for them, I'm for any man having the freedoms he deserves 
cheers Spud
I think that when the Scots examine the terms and conditions on offer to new applicants to join the EU , their enthusiasm will take a big hit.

London_Phil

Someone at work said to imagine if you were being asked to join the EU, how would you feel about it, as it currently stands.
Felt it put a different slant on the argument

Sin_Tiger

That's why Nicola is trying to sort it out before article 50 is activated Ossian but with back peddling Boris keeps going, who knows  :m

:iagree with Spud about the younger ones. It did cross my mind how many of those at Glastonbury had done their postal votes before heading for the mud on such an important date  :icon_scratch: not many methinks.

threepot

I voted out. I'm really concerned about 'mass' immigration,and everyone's harping on about the Brexit vote damaging the UK and Europe..there ain't going to be a Europe the way things are going! Another thing annoying is people saying 'we've ruined the future for the 'younger' generation. Really? There are record numbers of 'young' people still living with their parents because they can't find decent jobs,and affordable housing! Two of mine still live with me.Nigel Lawson sums it up nicely..

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Geoff W

Tempted to move to Scotland and join my daughter. Although she did encounter Scottish bigots for the first time recently, who suggested she go back home to David Cameron Land. She pointed out that David Cameron is a very Scottish name, so they must take the blame for him. It takes a brave man to take on  small fiery redhead with a brown belt in karate.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Spud

I voted out because I could not get any answer to the following

are you happy with a federal Europe ?

What are you going to do about the growing debt the EU is killing Greece with ?

are you happy with 50% unemployment in Spain amongst  the young

What are the future plans for Italy and Portugal

will you be happy when our contributions go up

No one seem to have answers to the Greek problem and I don't think it is fair to the EU, us and the Greeks to keep bailing them out and them getting further and further in debt, the money being wasted by the EU is beyond a joke. So hopefully now we can all move forward for the betterment of the UK (sans Scotland?) and also the EU who the likes of Junker did not like

cheers Spud 

nickjtc

Interesting stuff. The first time I was eligible to vote over there as a nipper was the referendum to join what was then the Common Market. I voted no because at that time I was fresh from senior school and had done history as a moderately favourite subject. The way I looked at it was that the European countries had never got on so why would they now?

Anyhoo. If I had been able to vote I would have voted 'out'. It will be interesting to see how things work out, but I believe that life will actually go on. The only ones really crying in their Corn Flakes are the politicians.....????
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

I notice that if you want to hear any good news since the vote, you have to go to news agencies other than BBC or ones owned by Rupert Murdoch.  All you get from them is how bad it is / or is going to be.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

The BBC is horrible. It is funded in part by the EU, so it simply cannot be impartial. If you visit any bbc building it will be peppered with trade union posters and literature. The overriding political attitude is distinctly Corbynesque.

I'm not necessarily against any of those things being a pragmatic neutral but if you were expecting unbiased coverage, then you have not got a hope!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

thebiglad

I am a Brit, living in France for the last 14 years or so, so feel I have a foot in both camps. The general consensus over here in France is utter bewilderment that Britain (or a small percentage of it) has voted to leave the EU.

I believe that this was brought about mainly due to the level of incompetence and apathy of the remain campaigners and the complete lack - on behalf of the BREXIT people -  of a desire to want to know the REAL benefits of the EU.

Anyway, it appears that the job is done, so now it's a matter of negotiating a painless divorce - let's see how that goes ?????
2006 Tiger 955i