News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Frame bolt removal

Started by haggis95, June 28, 2016, 06:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haggis95

How to remove frame torque bolts?

I'm putting on the Heed crash bars, but need to remove some frame bolts. However my hands are too big to get a wrench behind to hold onto the nut. Any suggestions?
There's a Tiger in my garage

Bixxer Bob

Realistically, you have to take the tank off.  It can be done with stubby spanners but you can't get then torque the bolts up correctly once the bars are on.  Tank off seems scary if you've not done it before but once you have, you'll realise it's the easiest way to do a lot of the jobs on a Tiger.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haggis95

You're right it does seem scary! But thanks for the advice.

Bixxer Bob

Once you've done it a couple of times  it's ten minutes tops.

You'll see it written in other places, but things to remember:

If possible do it when the tank is nearly empty.

Have somewhere cleared to put it down before you pick it up, especially if it's got a lot of fuel in it.  Wandering around the garage with a plastic tank containing 20kg of fuel isn't funny.

Don't leave it off the bike a minute longer than necessary or you'll find it difficult to line up the mounting bolts.  Plastic tanks are flexible to say the least.  I prop mine up on a couple of blocks under the mounting points which seems to work.

Right, having said that:  seat off, disconnect battery and remove. 
Three screws to remove each indicator assembly then unplug and put somewhere safe.
Remove screws that retin the black side panels; pull back to unclip and put somewhere safe.
Remove three battery box retaining screws, lift box half way, unclip 30 amp fuse from the left side and remove completely.
Unclip fuel hose,  power cable and two drain hoses.
Remove two mounting screws; one at the front, one at the back.
Lift the tank rear first till it just clears the frame.  It'll most probably catch slightly.  As it clears the frame, reach under the right side and unplug the fuel sender (this is where three hands would be nice but it's doable with two).
Wiggle it backwards and it'll come free.
Put it somewhere safe.

Now you can survey the wonders underneath  :occasion14
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haggis95

Great tips thanks! :><

Rushes off to put tank on mounting blocks!

PeteH

Don't worry too much if the tank doesn't quite go back on as planned....secure the rear bolt, then using a stout piece of timber lever the front of tank until the holes line up....worked for me ;)
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

haggis95

Thanks for that tip.

While the tank is off I replaced the spark plugs and ordered a k and N air filter.

In the meantime, while I'm waiting for it, now I can see all the space in there I'll re-route the R/R I bought as a replacement last year.

Timbox2

Quote from: haggis95 on June 30, 2016, 07:10:57 AM
Thanks for that tip.

While the tank is off I replaced the spark plugs and ordered a k and N air filter.

In the meantime, while I'm waiting for it, now I can see all the space in there I'll re-route the R/R I bought as a replacement last year.

Just watch you dont misplace the little foam gasket between the IACV and the airbox when you put it back together. :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport

haggis95

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 28, 2016, 09:04:04 PM
Once you've done it a couple of times  it's ten minutes tops.

10 minutes???? Your clock needs a new battery.  :cp
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 30, 2016, 08:51:51 AM
Just watch you dont misplace the little foam gasket between the IACV and the airbox when you put it back together. :thumbsup

Some small/tiny bits of "Blacktack" underneath the gasket will hold it in place and squish enough when you bolt everything down. :bad
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.