News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Radiator replacement

Started by ghulst, July 01, 2016, 09:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Riding out towards Rotterdam today, something has hit my radiator. It must have been something hard hitting it, as the right side radiator support has actually broken. So the radiator is now only leaning on the exhaust manifold. Not a very good position to be in. I hadn't noticed and then I stopped at a traffic light and felt like a cheap magician when I disappeared in a huge white cloud of vaporizing coolant. :(

Anyway, are there any specific things I need to keep in mind when replacing the radiator (and coolant)? Special procedures for getting all the air out etc?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JayDub

I don't know about changing the rad, it looks straight forward enough - but when I refilled mine after replacing the fan switch I filled it to just below the neck, replaced the cap then topped up the reservoir to the correct level and ran it until the fan cut in.  I watched as the air bubbles came through into the reservoir and so presumed that its self burping due to the height of the filler in relation to the engine/radiator... and maybe a squeeze or three to the water pump hose (behind the metal cover) helped.

Timbox2

Only trick on the Girlies is fill slowly, and I mean slowly. Think its easier on the steamers, isnt there a bleed tube on the top hose?
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Do as JayDub says. Pretty easy to fill the Steamers.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ghulst

Great thanks.

However, the damage is a bit bigger than I expected. The fan has completely melted as it rested on the exhaust. :( If anyone has one lying around...

Nick Calne

I have a fan and a radiator and I ship international! Anything else you need?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Thanks Nick. The right hand side radiator support has broken, so if you have that...

Let me pm you.

JayDub

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 04, 2016, 08:36:08 PM
I have a fan and a radiator and I ship international! Anything else you need?
Helluva guy  :eusa_clap
(thanks again for the discs mate  :thumbsup )

Sin_Tiger

I've got a spare fan that has a broken plastic leg only if Nick doesn't find one for you.

No drama with filling, check the thermostat while you have it open, they don't often fail but we're all getting older. Now is a good tinge to clean out all the crud that collects in the bottom of the expansion tank.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Thanks. The whole system seems to be exceptionally clean. Very happy about that. ;) All the coolant was still nice and green and very transparent. No muck in there.

threepot

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 04, 2016, 11:41:41 PM
I've got a spare fan that has a broken plastic leg only if Nick doesn't find one for you.

No drama with filling, check the thermostat while you have it open, they don't often fail but we're all getting older. Now is a good tinge to clean out all the crud that collects in the bottom of the expansion tank.
:augie
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Found the rad and fan. Not got the support (yet).

Pm me an address!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Great! Sent you a pm earlier this afternoon.

ghulst

Thank you Nick!

I'll probably give it a quick check and a respray before mounting the radiator. And a quick clean of the fan. ;)

Yesterday's State of the Tiger. I'm changing the airfilterbox and finally mounting the crashbars.

ghulst

Checked, cleaned, repainted and ready to go back on the Tiger.

Next week. ;)