News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What's happened to ALL MY OIL??

Started by Danwarb, July 24, 2016, 08:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Something rather shocking.

In draining the oil from my Tiger, in less than a year I've noticed I've lost 2 thirds of if. The oil light always went off when I started the bike and even when I'd drained the bike the dip stick still indicated there was enough oil. So flipping lucky I chose to re-spray the engine cases or I'd have never had noticed.

:bug_eye

I noticed there was a slight leak from around one the of engine casings so could this be it?

How can I have lost so much oil in such a short space of time?

How can I check it if it seems the dip stick is giving such false oil level readings?

:icon_scratch:

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Nick Calne

Well how odd. What I have noticed is how difficult it is to get all the oil out of the engine. I had a spare one on the bench for a few years and I'd move it periodically and some more would come out. No matter how hard I tried to get it all out, there was always some to come.

But two thirds?  Nope, something's iffy.  So questions...

Are you sure you had a full compliment to begin with? Other than dipstick readings?

What happened when you crashed recently? Did you lose any then?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

Oh and any smoke when riding? Obvs.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Strange? Can't believe the dip stick still showed oil after you'd drained ? Have I read that right? :icon_scratch: Did you wipe,then check?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Nope, no smoke when riding.

It could be that I didn't put enough in initially but I thought I had.

No seeming major oil leaks any time.

I think I'll put it down to not enough oil initially and forget it !!

:m
Black 1995 Tiger 885

London_Phil

Not meant to be rude, but are you checking with the dipstick screwed in? as per manual. Sounds stupid, but caught me out when I first got mine. Thought there was no oil in it!!!!

ned37

hopefully, you are draining the hex plug that sits horizontally
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Danwarb

Quote from: London_Phil on July 25, 2016, 04:18:48 PM
Not meant to be rude, but are you checking with the dipstick screwed in? as per manual. Sounds stupid, but caught me out when I first got mine. Thought there was no oil in it!!!!

Ah ! Thanks Phil !

Maybe I've over filled it then !! HA ha !!

I'll check again . . . Seems fine now with casings back on, new oil and no leaks.

Thank you.

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885