News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Ignition. Key removal options.

Started by Danwarb, June 16, 2015, 11:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi guys,

The previous steamer I had it was possible to start the bike then remove the key leaving the engine running so I could use my keys on the panniers while the engine warmed up.

My 1997 Steamer won't let me pull the key out unless I turn the key to shut the engine down.

Can this be modified easily so I can leave the engine running while I remove the key?

Is your Steamer one or two option key removal?

:icon_scratch:
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

nickjtc

My '96 definitely does not let me do that. Not an issue since my luggage uses Givi locks. Personally I think the idea of being able to take the key out after turning the ignition on is fraught with potential catastrophe. But that's just me!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

The only way the old one would let you take the key out is the PO filed out the wafers in the lockor they were so worn that the same applied.  Then, of course, any key would fit... :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Not such a good idea Dan, I've had keys fall out at speed, and its easy to ride off leaving them lying around   :icon_redface: - funny enough, my steamer is one of the very few bikes I've had which doesn't allow key removal in the on position  :icon_biggrin: .... most of them had worn locks and Its good not having to clip them to a nearby cable.

Sin_Tiger

:nono

One of the first journo's to test ride the MultiStrada in the UK (keyless ignition but you needed the key to open the tank  :icon_scratch:), he filled up, wifi key fell out of his pocket but the bike started as it was in range, next stop for a photo shoot he hit the kill switch, then couldn't start the bike again, top of a mountain in Wales on a wet Sunday with no mobile cover  :icon_redface:

Carrying your spare key clipped inside a jacket or on a lanyard around your neck (another friend used to keep his spare inside the lining of his helmet) is something I've done for years on the advice of a well travelled senior biker. I dropped my key down between the headstock and tank once where it jammed and I didn't have tools with me, I said a silent thank you for the sage advice  :notworthy.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Wow guys !

I had no idea of all the possibly key-mares !!

Fortunately I've never had any of these problems.

Seems madness to take the spare key with me when riding but I'll certainly think about it especially if I'm going on a long trip.

I give up the key removal option and think I've a solution; the keys to be held together with like a rope climbers clip so I can start the bike, unclip the keys I need leaving the tiger warming up, shut my garage door and lock it before clipping the keys back together with the one in the ignition.

Sorted.

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ghulst

:) I'd be happy to actually have the bike running while standing. Mine does not even start or run when the side stand is down. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JayDub

Quote from: ghulst on July 11, 2015, 07:31:26 AM
:) I'd be happy to actually have the bike running while standing. Mine does not even start or run when the side stand is down. ;)
A replacement switch would probably solve that issue, or even disconnecting the faulty one i.e. the clutch or neutral switch.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ghulst on July 11, 2015, 07:31:26 AM

Does your neutral light come on when the GB is actually in neutral? I had this issue when the bike got hot but that was in 30/5 C+ ambient temps, hasn't been a problem now it's back in the UK.

As JD says, disconnect and link out the side stand switch to check it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

Funny thing this, after I mounted the crashbars, the bike now idles with the side stand down in neutral.

Don't ask me... ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JayDub

so, learning the way of the steamer you are.