News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front discs

Started by Nick Calne, September 17, 2016, 12:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Does anyone know what the minimum thickness of your front discs should be. Mine are down to just over 3mm and I have feeling the minimum thickness should be 4mm but I'd like to be sure before I spend 100 quid on replacements.

Thanks

N
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Nick,I've read somewhere that some Honda 125 discs fit? Not sure exact model? CBF125?
Mine need changing. Get a 'pulsing' from lever..warped?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Interesting idea. The cbr seems very similar.

What do you think of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321456020689

London_Phil

Mine are stamped  min 3.5mm.
Mine are about 3.6, so interested to see how this goes.

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on September 17, 2016, 01:07:56 AM
Get a 'pulsing' from lever..warped?

Probably, unless they are contaminated with something in places.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

If they are original Triumph spec (4.0mm) the minimum thickness will be 3.5mm and should be stamped on them, measure the unworn outer ridge for some guidance.

I have seen discs fitted that are 5.0/4.5 but those were probably Trident / Trophy discs that were incorrectly supplied.

I have also seen ones fitted that were 3.5/3.0 ("Braking" I seem to remember) but I tossed those in the scrap bin straight away  :bug_eye

I currently have Kagizume fitted that are 4.5/4.0 that work well but there isn't anyone importing them to the UK anymore.

So as you can see there's all sorts out there. Long and short of it is you're due some new discs and I'd be very wary about going for anything thinner than stock spec.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Geoff W

I think I got mine from Sprint online. About £80-90 each, my old ones were well worn and one had started to crack. Myself I don't see the point in trying to save a few quid on brakes, they keep you alive almost every time you use them.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.