News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork lock not working

Started by bemusedinsojo, April 07, 2017, 03:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Hello all,
My fork lock doesn't work-that is, I assume it doesn't work.  My former Concours, ninja, cb900, etc all worked the same; I turned the front wheel left, then push down the key, turn it which engages the fork lock. As it is, the key will push down but will not turn to engage the fork lock. I'm going to be leaving it outside sometimes so need a locking solution.

Thanks for your help.

Sin_Tiger

Try turning the lock back slightly from full over while keeping a light pressure on the key until it does engage. Personal experience has shown me that the hole is very precise, probably don't get worn from lack of use
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

I'm miles away from my bike so can't check but I seem to remember they lock the other way? Turn the bars right not left................Of course I might just be getting old and senile
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: John Stenhouse on April 08, 2017, 12:33:49 AM
Turn the bars right not left.u...............Of course I might just be getting old and senile

None of us getting any younger  :nod Steamers are definitely turn bars to the left, unless your eyes are crossed of course  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tomcat61

Try turning the bars a little bit back and forth while turning the key. That might help, I've tried that trick and it worked in other bikes.
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

bemusedinsojo

:BangHead I took all your suggestions but nothing has worked so far. Any other ideas? The PO said maybe the key is not cut to work the lock. The locksmith said that if the key turns then it is working properly. My fix it book doesn't show how the lock works so no help there. Does anyone have a picture of how the lock works?

John Stenhouse

If the key starts the bike its fine, the lock is just a pin, pushed down through a hole in a piece of plate, turn the key push down and hold it there whilst you turn the bars slowly, you should be able to feel the pin scrape along the plate until it finds the hole. Keep trying

JayDub

But realistically they're not too effective as an antitheft device anyway, a good disc lock is better, and should hide under the seat OK.

Tomcat61

Today this same steering lock problem happened to me  :icon_scratch:

I tried to turn the bars from side to side but the key would not go into locked position.
Motorcycle theft at this early Spring is rare, but it could happen.

Tomcat61

I have this thing happened now regularly in cold weather, could it be that the grease in the lock gets so sticky in cold and causes this engagement problem in the locking device?
I managed to engage the lock in the afternoon, while it had failed in the morning  :^_^

bemusedinsojo

I can't get mine to engage at all.

Sin_Tiger

That's a good point, some greases do dry up, experienced just that recently on my Trophy which is a little over 3 tresses old. In addition, dust and grit accumulation will not help matters.

A good clean out and lubricate with a grease that's suited to your local climate, you'll know what works best. Personally I use Land Rover salt waste resistant litium based steering swivel grease as I know it works and I have a good stock. Not sure if that's still available being a heavy metal based grease.

For the sake of clarity, the lock only works with the forks turned to the left.

John Stenhouse

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 22, 2017, 01:22:44 AMFor the sake of clarity, the lock only works with the forks turned to the left.

Please note, this I confirmed this morning, my bad, take no notice of my stupid suggestion. Lock works on left lock only

bemusedinsojo

I must have one that has a non-stock switch because I can't get it to engage. And my key has Yamaha imprinted on it. I thought it was a generic blank but maybe not.