News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer/Trophy 1200 engine swap. Is it possible?

Started by tech141, September 03, 2016, 05:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tech141

Howdy folks!  I recently made a weekend trip to Mt Rushmore and picked up a 2002 Trophy 1200 while I was there.  I got the Trophy for way less than I can sell it, so its a win situation no matter what.  I have been riding it  quite a bit, comparing it to my Steamer, and the Steamer is winning.  Don't get me wrong, the Trophy is a good bike - Really smooth and powerful, much like my High School Prom date. 

However, I find myself preferring the ergonomics of the Tigger.

Here's my question - Has anyone swapped the 885 triple with the 1200cc four cylinder of the Trophy?  Is it even physically possible without SERIOUS cutting/welding/fabrication?  I REALLY like the 1200cc engine.  I am considering creating a Franken-Tiger. :icon_mrgreen:

Any input from the collective genius would be greatly appreciated.

I hope everyone is having an Outstanding Evening!

Mike

It's SUPPOSED to be dirty - It's a Tiger.

fishnbiker

I know it can be done, I saw a photo of one several years ago. Black of course. Maybe over at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TriumphTiger/info ?

You would need the wiring harness off the 4 pot engine & a lot of tinkering skills.

Having both bikes side by side, that should be easy to figure out a solution. Maybe easier to add the Tiger fittings to the Trophy frame & engine?

Keep us informed of any progress.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Nick Calne

Seen this before. There is a facebook group for steamer owners and one of the members there is doing it.  I don't know exactly which generation of 1200 engine they are using though.

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

tech141

Quote from: fishnbiker on September 03, 2016, 07:13:38 AM
I know it can be done, I saw a photo of one several years ago. Black of course. Maybe over at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TriumphTiger/info ?

You would need the wiring harness off the 4 pot engine & a lot of tinkering skills.

Having both bikes side by side, that should be easy to figure out a solution. Maybe easier to add the Tiger fittings to the Trophy frame & engine?

Keep us informed of any progress.

Don't know for sure if I'll do it.  But if so, the Trophy motor would be transplanted into the Tiger.  The Tiger's ergonomics fit me better.
It's SUPPOSED to be dirty - It's a Tiger.

Chris Canning

It can definitely be done,there was one on ebay UK a couple years back green in colour and it looked vey well done I'm not sure if Jack Lilley did it but I dread to think how much work would be required just on the suspension never cramming the engine in but it did look good.

London_Phil

I saw that one too. I also seem to recall it was done by JL. I remember there was some mods required, but it did look good, but 4 carbs.......

ghulst

Sounds like an awesome plan! One to follow. ;)

[offtopic]
Quote from: Nick Calne on September 03, 2016, 10:16:52 AM
There is a facebook group for steamer owners
Where?
[/offtopic]
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Nick Calne

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on September 04, 2016, 03:25:54 PM
As it happens, they seem to be physically based pretty much right on your doorstep, Arne!
Ah, Wilco's site. Yes, I know him and I am part of that group already. :)

Sin_Tiger

Hands up any Steamer owners that HAVEN'T thought about this at some time.

I never did the research in the parts books to see how many parts are common and that's where I'd start. I'd also have a look at the original model specs fir weight comparisons etc. I suspect you may have to make some mods to the fairing, airbox covers and just maybe the footpeg brackets, you might need a side stand that fits with the final ride height depending on what you do with the suspension.

Anyway, despite any lack of direct experience here, you'll not be short of encouragement and quite probably some cylinder envy  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

I am also wondering about weight. Is the 1200 going to make the bike heavier? Much, or? If there is no gain in weight, it would be a great opportunity to upgrade the bike.

rf9rider

I looked into this a while ago, also spoke to Clive Woods about it, he told me it just wasn`t worth it, he said you were better off tuning the original Tiger motor, the work involved plus the extra weight, extra cost of insurance wouldn`t be worth it, you could get just as much of a power increase with tuning the 900 motor.

ghulst

So, doing the cam and CDI swap and tuning the carbs would be as effective? (Or was there more to it?)

Sin_Tiger

:iagree but if you want to do it just for the hell of it  :m.

"Worth it" is a very relative thing.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

If going faster is the objective then better brakes might not be a bad plan either... Which probably requires a better suspension set up and ideally the use of a 17inch front wheel with a road specific tyre. It's a really interesting engineering puzzle and I suspect the very hardest part would be retaining the balance of the bike.

How about a supercharger instead?  :icon_salut: