News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Body won't fit

Started by bemusedinsojo, October 22, 2016, 09:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

This is about my Steamer body, not my girth. I put Freddie back together and rode him like a stallion.
:icon_redface: Oh dear I just realized how that sounded. Anyway each time I pit it back together it doesn't quite fit together well. Like the gaps between the tank and fairing don't match on either side and the fairing over the headlights is cock-eyed. Anyone have an idea or did I get a Tiger from the Island of misfit toys?

Thanks for help. My knowledge is thin.

ssevy

Ethanol in the fuel will deform the nylon tank so your bolts and holes don't line up well. When it remains together, things stay mostly aligned and in place, but when you take things apart, each piece tends to go its own way. Draining the tank and letting it dry can shrink it back to proper size, but I'm not sure how long this takes? My tank was off for several weeks for a petcock replacement and some welding, so I only know it fit perfectly after I put it back together.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

JayDub

:nod just one of many steamer quirks, supporting the tank along the tunnel such as on a trestle - and empty, for a couple of days worked for me, I tried ethanol stabiliser but that didn't help.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: JayDub on October 22, 2016, 10:37:32 PM
:nod supporting the tank along the tunnel such as on a trestle

I'm not sure what this means. Sorry. All I can think of is a train trestle.  :icon_scratch:

You just deleted a square closed quote by mistake

bemusedinsojo

Plus I can't figure out how to quote. Me noob.

nickjtc

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on October 23, 2016, 02:40:45 AM
Plus I can't figure out how to quote. Me noob.

Welcome to the Steamer idiosyncrasy club. Of course us Roadie owners with our steel tanks don't have to deal with that  :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

tjmann0

I have had 2 fuel tanks on my steamer that have gone this way , I machined the front and rear tank apertures to help , you can take quite a bit of meat out of these areas , After the swelling comes the blistering , Only consolation is that you can't look at your tank whilst riding enthusiastically .

JayDub

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on October 23, 2016, 02:39:14 AM
Quote from: JayDub on October 22, 2016, 10:37:32 PM
I'm not sure what this means. Sorry. All I can think of is a train trestle.  :icon_scratch:
Like a train trestle, but smaller  :icon_smile:
If you sit it on the floor it will try to spread flat.

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on October 23, 2016, 12:48:35 PM

Like a train trestle, but smaller  :icon_smile:
If you sit it on the floor it will try spread flat.
american translation....................SAWHORSE !

tonytiger

had the same problem with mine, the paint bubbled as well. I've stripped the paint off the tank and resprayed it
and decided to do the fairing as well as it was scratched. I've also got some tank sealent to put in eventually.

bemusedinsojo

Oh a sawhorse! Trestle! Got it! I had the tank on a flat work bench so that is why it spread. Thanks I'll put it on a trestle/sawhorse next time. Thanks for all the help to all. The people here are as cool as the Steamer!

threepot

Try fitting tank/fairing  fasteners before securing the tank itself.  I've had my bike for 5yrs now,and only recently have I been able to use the 2 rear tank bolts :icon_smile:  One of the steamer 'idiosyncrasies'! I love mine :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Another good idea threepot. Thanks.