News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger died :-(

Started by Tiger-G, November 17, 2016, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Hi All,

On the way to work yesterday my 2006 Tiger 955i died  :icon_sad:

Was about 3 mins into a ride, travelling at 25mph approaching a roundabout when it spluttered and the fuel and ECU light came on and the engine died. It spluttered back into life briefly, then the fuel and ECU light came back on and it died for good  :icon_sad:

Dumped it in the local pub carpark and left it overnight. Pushed it the half a mile home (uphill !!  :BangHead) this morning and put it on TuneECU.

After trying several different ways to connect to TuneECU I keep getting a message saying "ECU is not responding, try attaching cable again".

The ignition turns on, the starter fires, the headlights work, I've checked all the fuses, it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is kicking in when the ignition is turned on. Do you think the ECU has given up the ghost, or is there anything else I can try ??

Any help would be warmly received  :icon_biggrin:
Graeme.

posted on RAT too.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

First shot in the dark isn't there a hole under the ECU in the under tray that lets the scht in'

I'd also pull every connector on the bike apart my tiger hasn't seen a winters day in its life but when I have checked them they haven't been great.

And strangely enough mine has has had habit of recent of doing the same when it feels like it but I've been lucky enough to whip the clutch in and it's fire up straight away.

Oh and if it is the ECU doesn't Bixxer have one forsale.

Tiger-G

Hi Chris,

Will be giving the wiring and connectors a check later on.

The fuel pump wires are measuring 11.something volts with the ignition on. However, I can't hear the fuel pump priming when the ignition is turned on as normal, so I bypassed the fuel pump with wires straight to the battery and the fuel pump works ok. Tried the ignition switch with the fuel pump wired straight from the battery and it still wouldn't fire ?? :icon_scratch:

Cheers,
Graeme.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

It's a square one job then,I'd pull the tank and take a plug out to see if you have a spark and go from there.

Timbox2

Aint got a Triumph alarm have you?
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Yeah, it's got the factory fitted unit, and I've got the bypass plug. The bypass plug connector is in a tamper proof box, and I'm not at the stage where I want to destroy it.

Just wondering why TuneECU won't talk to the ECU ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 17, 2016, 07:28:22 PM
Yeah, it's got the factory fitted unit, and I've got the bypass plug. The bypass plug connector is in a tamper proof box, and I'm not at the stage where I want to destroy it.

Just wondering why TuneECU won't talk to the ECU ??

When did you last connect ?. Same laptop? Any new stuff on laptop? Have you checked in device manager that port is allocated correctly etc
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Last connected in May when I bought the cable and put the TOR map in. No problems since. Wonder if the cable has given up the ghost ?? Didn't look in device manager, but tried several USB ports.

Might try and find someone local with a spare ECU to try before I go out and buy one.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Ossian

I have heard that the crank position sensor can fail for no obvious reason. Everything seems OK, starter electrics etc. but the bike just won't run, at least that's the way it was for me.

Tiger-G

Thanks Ossian,

Will look into that too   :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

Bit of a cheek me posting this because Tim did all the hard work but when he came to my house to have a look at mine his lap top and cable worked fine at his home and then it wouldn't at mine he tipped the world upside down trying to sort because it wouldn't work on his either.

I'd bought a cheapo cable when Bixxer came and that went in the bin,Tim found an all singing all dancing version and there was a helluva difference,is it the answer to your problem?

What I forgot do you have a spark?

Tiger-G

Hi Chris,

Haven't got to the spark yet, but when I turn the bike over I can smell fuel, but there's no obvious signs of ignition ??

Decosse mentioned on RAT about voltage across fuses 6 & 7. They should read 12v. Mine only read 3.7v. All other fuses read 12v ??

I'm just waiting for him to reply to see where we go from there. Although not electrically gifted, I don't think the ECU and fuel pump relays are getting the voltage they need to operate, but I don't know why, lol  :m

Also.......put the alarm blanking plug on, but still the bike didn't fire. So don't think it's the alarm.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 18, 2016, 01:08:36 PM
Hi Chris,

Haven't got to the spark yet, but when I turn the bike over I can smell fuel, but there's no obvious signs of ignition ??

Decosse mentioned on RAT about voltage across fuses 6 & 7. They should read 12v. Mine only read 3.7v. All other fuses read 12v ??

I'm just waiting for him to reply to see where we go from there. Although not electrically gifted, I don't think the ECU and fuel pump relays are getting the voltage they need to operate, but I don't know why, lol  :m

Also.......put the alarm blanking plug on, but still the bike didn't fire. So don't think it's the alarm.

Have you had a look at the 30amp fuse on the side of the battery? That can cause all sorts of weirdness, and looking at the wiring diagram its looks as though it may supply voltage straight to the ECU relay as well as fuses 6 & 7. You need to check that 30amp fuse and the holder really closely, even if not blown Ive seen some sort of partially blown, as I said weirdness
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Yes mate, that fuse is ok.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 18, 2016, 04:27:23 PM
Yes mate, that fuse is ok.

ah , ha, your awake then. Ok mate, maybe the ECU relay??.  There isnt a fuel pump relay on the later bikes by the way, think its controlled directly from the ECU.

Well, yes, as long as the "Haynes Book of lies", can be believed, the wiring diagram definitely shows the power for fuses 6 & 7 coming off the ECU relay, think youve gotta to be looking at this area. Now your gonna ask which is the ECU relay?. Not sure, but think its one of the relays by the fuse box itself

Confirmed, ECU relay is R/H one in photo below, L/H is headlight cut-out relay.  Interestingly, either will stop fuel pump priming if pulled.

2016 Tiger Sport