News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger died :-(

Started by Tiger-G, November 17, 2016, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Yes, I am awake,,,,,just  :sleepy1

Yeah, I've pulled both those relays and swapped them round, but to no avail. I now think, as daft and simple as it sounds, that I've got a duff battery that may be affecting things.

I've had it on charge over the last couple of days. Just checked it. It's saying full charge on the charger. Showing 12v plus on the multimeter. As soon as the charger is off it drops it's charge and seems to keep dropping slowly to under 12v. If I turn the ignition on with the twin headlights still on it drops again, and keeps dropping. Better not be something as simple as that, or I'll never live it down !! :icon_frown:

And TuneECU will still not connect, just says ECU not responding.....

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 18, 2016, 05:33:17 PM
Yes, I am awake,,,,,just  :sleepy1

Yeah, I've pulled both those relays and swapped them round, but to no avail. I now think, as daft and simple as it sounds, that I've got a duff battery that may be affecting things.

I've had it on charge over the last couple of days. Just checked it. It's saying full charge on the charger. Showing 12v plus on the multimeter. As soon as the charger is off it drops it's charge and seems to keep dropping slowly to under 12v. If I turn the ignition on with the twin headlights still on it drops again, and keeps dropping. Better not be something as simple as that, or I'll never live it down !! :icon_frown:

And TuneECU will still not connect, just says ECU not responding.....

Could easily be mate, would also explain Tune ECU not connecting, think it has problems below about 12.6v
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Just been to have another look, was checking the battery with the multimeter again, bike still on charge.............

............turned the ignition on and heard the fuel pump prime, and it fired up !!  :icon_redface:

Got a bit excited, thinking "that shouldn't happen", so switched it back off straight away. Tried it again, and it wouldn't start, tried a few times and it wouldn't start, lol  :icon_scratch:

I think that's it, something as simple as a knackered battery. Will buy a new one tomorrow and see what happens.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

I've a very good friend who you would all know who speacility is not giving the actual  :icon_biggrin: sounds like this might be the same.

What type of battery is it? Lead acids die nicely but those poxy gel things just drop off a cliff

Tiger-G

Well, with a new battery on, I was hopeful, but unfortunately it's the same old story. Decosse seems to think it's something to do with the ECU relay, so will have a look into that   :icon_frown:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

If it was mine I'd have had spead all over the garage floor by now ranging from checking connectors to is it sparking and talk to Bixxer about his ECU for 35 quid is it actually pumping fuel? just a process of illimination

Tiger-G

Lol  :icon_lol: Unfortunately, the girlfriend is round, so I can't get in to the garage to look further into it. I know, I know, how come she takes precedence over Tiger !!

Will have a look tomorrow, got to be something to do with wiring, will be checking for a spark too ??  :^_^
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

JayDub

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 20, 2016, 06:24:38 PMthe girlfriend is round, so I can't get in to the garage to look further into it.
I must have read that the wrong way :mut

Tiger-G

Quote from: JayDub on November 20, 2016, 07:37:19 PM
I must have read that the wrong way :mut

Ha, sooooo tempted to say you're not far off !!   :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Bixxer Bob

I was thinking battery right from the off, but since you've replaced that at least that box is ticked.

Simple check,   temporary wires straight from the battery to the fuel pump.  If it starts then you know its either the relay or a lazy fuse (they do that, dunno why they just do.  They check out ok for continuity but won't pass current). 

I don't have my wiring diagram to hand to see whether Decosse's solution is correct but Tim seems to think so and he's good with wires so it sounds like you're at least barking up the right tree.

With the new battery fitted will TUNECU connect?? 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Tiger-G

Well...............I finally got a bit of spare time to tinker with Tiger.

In the end I concentrated on the fact that fuses 6 & 7 were only getting 3.6 volts across them, when they should be getting 12v. With the ignition on, I connected the multimeter to the battery negative and fuse 6 and I wiggled wires here, and wiggled wires there, checking the main ground, etc.

In the end, when I was wiggling the wires near the rectifier I got 12 volts at the fuse, and I could hear the ECU relay clicking. I tried starting the bike and it fired up straight away, then fired up several more times.

Although fixed short term, I think there must be more to it than just a bad wire. I've read the threads about the issues with charging and rectifiers.

On the multimeter I got:

At the battery, ignition off - 13.1v
At the battery, ignition on (headlight relay out) - 12.5v and dropping slowly.
With the bike on tickover - 13.4v
At 3,000 revs - 13.0v.

So I think my issues are sorted short term, but I'm sure there will be more to it than that.

A big thanks to all that helped, and to Decosse on Rat  :icon_salut:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 22, 2016, 03:17:15 PM
Well...............I finally got a bit of spare time to tinker with Tiger.

In the end I concentrated on the fact that fuses 6 & 7 were only getting 3.6 volts across them, when they should be getting 12v. With the ignition on, I connected the multimeter to the battery negative and fuse 6 and I wiggled wires here, and wiggled wires there, checking the main ground, etc.

In the end, when I was wiggling the wires near the rectifier I got 12 volts at the fuse, and I could hear the ECU relay clicking. I tried starting the bike and if fired up straight away, then fired up several more times.

Although fixed short term, I think there must be more to it than just a bad wire. I've read the threads about the issues with charging and rectifiers.

On the multimeter I got:

At the battery, ignition off - 13.1v
At the battery, ignition on (headlight relay out) - 12.5v and dropping slowly.
With the bike on tickover - 13.4v
At 3,000 revs - 13.0v.

So I think my issues are sorted short term, but I'm sure there will be more to it than that.

A big thanks to all that helped, and to Decosse on Rat  :icon_salut:

Funny you should find that, a few weeks back I was getting low voltage with the bike running, I found that the multi-pin plug from the rectifier into the loom was half out, took it apart, cleaned and got it back together, now Im back to 14v +.
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Which brings us back to pulling all the connectors apart  :icon_biggrin: as I said in the post my Tiger even with 40,000 on it has never seen a winters day in its life and my connectorswere not great so God knows how you all year round lot get.

Although even with the cars we have I put at least half a can of WD under the bonnet of each one every 6 weeks to keep the damp out scht out.

Tiger-G

Oh..........and TuneECU connected first time  :icon_wink:

It only came back with the usual fuel pump faults from having the tank off.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

Clean and use plenty of dielectric grease, it's cheaper than Voltarol and just as effective at reducing back ache, any model any year.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint