News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger died :-(

Started by Tiger-G, November 17, 2016, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Just checked the stator (strange name for an alternator !!  :icon_lol:), after checking out a few vid's on YouTube. Especially the Mark Robbins 1050 Tiger one. Thanks Mark if you're on here  :icon_salut:

Multimeter set at 200 ohms, got 0.3 on all contacts, and it seemed to pass the ground test.

Checked the rectifier and got: 584 584 585 / 533 537 533. With my limited knowledge, that seems to check out ok.

Bike wouldn't start again with most of it back together, but with a wiggle of the stator wires at the connector, the relay clicked and the fuel pump primed. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass !! :icon_frown:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on November 22, 2016, 09:23:03 PM
Clean and use plenty of dielectric grease, it's cheaper than Voltarol and just as effective at reducing back ache, any model any year.
And he prefers it to Vaseline now  :nod
Also make sure that the terminals are secure inside the block connectors, sometimes they push out.  The female terminals can open up, so make sure they're squeezed tight too... but not too tight.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Tiger-G

Well, I managed 70 miles trouble free, then the dreaded engine management light came on and the bike cut out. It struggled back into life a few times, but called it a day on a snowy (not even a) "B" road in darkest North Yorkshire. I managed to push it up a bit of a hill before free wheeling in the dark, with no lights on, down to the village where my girlfriends' father lives. Talk about lucky !!  :icon_lol:

Will have a look at it tomorrow.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger-G

Hmmm, I spent most of Friday taking Tiger to bits with just the basic 955 toolkit (couldn't stop laughing !!  :icon_sad:). After a lot of prodding and poking it sprung reluctantly back to life, but you could hear the ECU relay clicking in and out of life. I put it all back together and was hoping it would get me back to Hartlepool on the Saturday afternoon.

Went to start it on Saturday and you guessed it - it wouldn't start. After a quick prod and poke it started briefly, then gave up with a flat (new) battery  :icon_frown:. That was enough for me, I rang the AA for recovery stating the problem and the fact that it couldn't be reliably fixed, so please send out a recovery vehicle capable of taking me home. You've guessed it again haven't you !! They sent someone out without a trailer so I couldn't be recovered home. He checked it out electrically and told me what I already knew. He also told me that when they sent him the job he queried it and told them they should send someone with a trailer !!  :BangHead .

So eventually they sent another van with a trailer and six and a half hours later I was home. I took it off the trailer, turned the ignition on, the fuel pump primed and..................yes, you've guessed it again haven't you................ it started first time !!   :bug_eye

Soooo frustrating. Back to the drawing board   :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Still think the big clue was early on with the voltage drop at fuses 6 & 7 (Both fed from ECM relay) in turn fed from 30amp fuse. You did change the 30amp fuse didnt you?
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

No, I didn't change any fuses. For me if a fuse hasn't blown, it's ok. Although I've read that's not quite the case ?? Will be doing that now though, changing out the two relays next to the fuse box, and checking the wiring through a bit more thoroughly.

I like trying to fix things by myself, but when it comes to wiring, I must admit I'm struggling. Might have to admit defeat and get an auto electrician in  :icon_frown:. There was a lot of corrosion on the wiring connectors at the back of the ECU relay.

Does anyone know what the other relay next to the ECU one controls ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 27, 2016, 04:02:39 PM
No, I didn't change any fuses. For me if a fuse hasn't blown, it's ok. Although I've read that's not quite the case ?? Will be doing that now though, changing out the two relays next to the fuse box, and checking the wiring through a bit more thoroughly.

I like trying to fix things by myself, but when it comes to wiring, I must admit I'm struggling. Might have to admit defeat and get an auto electrician in  :icon_frown:. There was a lot of corrosion on the wiring connectors at the back of the ECU relay.

Does anyone know what the other relay next to the ECU one controls ??

Yep, headlight cut-out,. And yes, we have seen 30amp fuses that arent technically blown but can cause issues. Actually, I should say, on mine its the headlight cut-out, I think Triumph moved the relays about through the years.
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Good stuff mate, thanks  :icon_lol:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

Something to think about. Fuses have two connectors, input and output, the fuse will only blow due to the current passing through it i.e. by the load on the output side. You can develop just as much voltage drop / heat / current leakage to earth on the input side (which of course isn't protected) so it's definitely important to check the fuse holders completely.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger-G

Well, I've been messing around with the bike all day and I'm at the point where the ECM relay energizes, the fuel pump primes, and it starts (on the stand), but I don't know why ??

I've had the ECM relay on and off a million times and had all the wires out the back and cleaned up. I've had the fuse box off, checked all the wires on the back, sprayed WD40 everywhere, wiggled the wires on the crank position sensor, had the starter solenoid off and cleaned up, had the main wiring harness connector block off (the one under the injector rail that takes the wires from back to the front of the bike) and sprayed with WD40, etc.

First it got to the stage where the ECM relay was clicking in and out at ten to the dozen, but then it settled down and when I turned the key in the ignition the fuel pump would prime and the relay would energize every time ??

So it's fixed for now, but I haven't got a clue what it was, and I'm sure it'll come back - soooo frustrating when you don't really know what you're doing, lol   :icon_frown:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Yep, that would wind me up, not knowing. Relay clicking 10 to the dozen? Was it the relay then, or had you already changed it?
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 17, 2016, 04:15:31 PM

I'd also pull every connector on the bike apart my tiger hasn't seen a winters day in its life but when I have checked them they haven't been great

And applies anyone else reading this thread who either has never done it or not for a long time.

London_Phil

I know little about the Girlys, but that sure sounds like connectors/wiring.
If they are as manky as you suggest around the ECU connectors etc, might be worth checking no cables are broken  just aft of the connector crimp.
You also mentioned wiggling wires around the rectifier., you may have a power feed with a corroded or broken connection.
My Steamer had a bad connection where the fuse box plugs into the harness, and would just die with no warning.
I would assume the Girlies don't have a plug in fuse box then?

Timbox2

Quote from: London_Phil on November 29, 2016, 11:23:52 AM
I know little about the Girlys, but that sure sounds like connectors/wiring.
If they are as manky as you suggest around the ECU connectors etc, might be worth checking no cables are broken  just aft of the connector crimp.
You also mentioned wiggling wires around the rectifier., you may have a power feed with a corroded or broken connection.
My Steamer had a bad connection where the fuse box plugs into the harness, and would just die with no warning.
I would assume the Girlies don't have a plug in fuse box then?

No, hardwired to loom
2016 Tiger Sport