News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger died :-(

Started by Tiger-G, November 17, 2016, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger-G

Quote from: Timbox2 on November 29, 2016, 07:34:46 AM
Yep, that would wind me up, not knowing. Relay clicking 10 to the dozen? Was it the relay then, or had you already changed it?

No, I thinkthe relay is good, because when i swapped it with the other one next to it, it did the same. I did recrimp one of the relay wires, as it was a very poor connection. Still think the wiring problem was further in the system, just don't know where, lol !

Will be having another look in a couple of days. From What Decosse has said on RAT, the rectifier and stator wires have nothing to do with the ECM relay clicking in and out, that was just a coincidence.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Tiger-G on November 29, 2016, 10:24:06 PM
From What Decosse has said on RAT, the rectifier and stator wires have nothing to do with the ECM relay clicking in and out, that was just a coincidence.

:nod R/R is on the feed side and goes to the battery, relays are on the load side being supplied by the battery.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Ok, so you've narrowed it down to the ECU relay clucking in and out.  I think you changed the relay so it's a known good one thus eliminating the possibility of an iffy relay.  You've cleaned up the connectors to it and associated wiring so you are confident in that wiring?  That really only leaves the power energising the relay.  I don't have my wiring diagram to hand but, from memory, it's either energised from the ign switch or from the ECU when the ECU is energised from the ign switch. It's then kept energised by the ECU until the ECU shuts it down after ign off.  So you are looking at the ECU connectors or the power to the ECU from the ign switch next I think.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Orrrrrr,   the ground connection from the relay.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

Ign switch?, some Steamer threads shows guys having issues with dirty connections/bad wiring where the switch connector slides across the pins, or the flexing of the wires when the headstock is turned.
Don't you just love intermittent electrical faults...

Tiger-G

Hmmm, been playing around with it again today. Still getting the 3.6volts to fuses 6&7, and therefore not enough voltage to power up the ECM relay.

Fiddled with the wiring loom and connectors here, there and every bloody where, but nothing obvious. I ended up checking the wires around the starter solenoid again, and heard the fuel pump relay kick in, the ECM relay click and the multimeter read 12 volts at fuses 6&7. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but time for work so will have another look tomorrow.

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Timbox2

Have you checked the main engine ground? Just below battery on top of crankcase. Bad grounds are responsible for more electrical weirdness than anything else.
2016 Tiger Sport

Tiger-G

Quote from: Timbox2 on December 02, 2016, 03:23:00 PM
Have you checked the main engine ground? Just below battery on top of crankcase. Bad grounds are responsible for more electrical weirdness than anything else.

Hi,

Yes, I've had the main ground off, cleaned the terminals up, applied copperslip and put it back on.

I'm now at the stage where I've got the front fairing off, most of the connector blocks and wiring free from cable ties, and wiggling away to see what happens. I think the problem is up front somewhere, but I don't know where yet. Will also be taking the ignition barrel off when I get a chance to check the wiring there.

When I put handlebar risers on I put the bars right back for better posture when riding. I noticed when turning the bars fully it was stretching a couple of the wiring runs. Might be something to to with that, but as usual I may be clutching at straws
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

And then again maybe not  :augie

Please tell me you've not been using "copaslip" in your connector blocks  :nono I don't want to start that  :grnb again but suffice to say, don't.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger-G

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 05, 2016, 05:55:33 PM
And then again maybe not  :augie

Please tell me you've not been using "copaslip" in your connector blocks  :nono I don't want to start that  :grnb again but suffice to say, don't.

Lol, yes, maybe not !!  :icon_wink:

Just used copaslip on my engine earth connection, not on the connector blocks. Will be dielectric greasing them.

With much fun and games I got the ignition barrel off tonight, to check the wiring there. Had to take the upper fork assembly off to do it. Couldn't get the tamper-proof bolts out, so had to drill them. Couldn't get an "easyout" to work on them, so looking forward to the fun and games of sorting that one out !! Just goes from bad to worse. You've got to laugh  :icon_frown:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

That's a relief to hear   :XXsunsmile

Take your time with the security bolts, they're usually high tensile and secured with high strength Loctite, so not a job to be rushed. Heating in an oven for half an hour (not above 60°C) might help, just remember to flush out the lock barrel and relube again, same goes for the actual switch but you'll be checking that for issue's anyway  :augie

Tiger-G

Looks like a helicoil job for the ignition barrel bolts - soooo frustrating !!  :BangHead

And, I've given up on getting the bike going, time to get a professional in. Again, if anyone has a crystal clear copy of a 2006 Tiger 955i wiring diagram, that would be helpful for whoever I get in to look at it. Still can't find a clear copy on t'internet.

Cheers.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Quick update on Tiger.

As he was still in bits, I continued my wire and and connector block wiggling in the vain hope I would find a loose connection, etc. I didn't, and at one point where ever I wiggled the wiring it caused the ECM relay to click in and out.

But then, for whatever reason, it seemed to fix itself. Every time I turned the ignition on the fuel pump it primed, I got 12 volts at fuses 6 & 7 ?? I've been out on it for a spin and it was ok, but don't expect the reliability to be there long term.
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Sin_Tiger

You must have done one wiggle right  :wings

London_Phil

Intermittent faults are the worst..