News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Year confusion

Started by bemusedinsojo, December 15, 2016, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Hello!
I went to bikebandit looking for carb. mounting rubbers (childish laugh here) but they say a 98 is an 885i which mine is not. The site shows two kinds of carbs for 97 year depending on the engine number (where is the engine number?). Did Triumph start the 98 production in 97 with the Keihin carbs?
Thanks,
Lynn

Timbox2

Yep, Triumph have always gone on Model Year. Last Steamers were 98 Model Year, 99 Model Year is first of 885i Girly. When a bike is registered is a different thing. The UK Online Triumph Parts Fiche doesnt use years at all, they list Carb Tiger to Vin 71698, 885i Tiger Vin 71699 onwards

Engine number is on a flat machined surface on the crankcase just above the clutch cover. Oh, and regards Mikunis Vs Keihin the engine no change is when they went from Mikuni to Keihin, no idea about year, think 98's could have either
2016 Tiger Sport

London_Phil

Remember its the airbox to carbs rubbers that are different , not the engine to carb rubbers

threepot

Fitted Trident ones(carb to engine) to my Daytona after reading somewhere that they are slightly shorter ?? And I'm sure they did measure about 2mm? ? Don't quote me on that though :augie Every little helps when replacing the ....you know! :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: London_Phil on December 15, 2016, 09:20:19 PM
Remember its the airbox to carbs rubbers that are different , not the engine to carb rubbers
I thought it was the other way around so good to know.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Timbox2 on December 15, 2016, 06:54:32 PM
Yep, Triumph have always gone on Model Year. Last Steamers were 98 Model Year, 99 Model Year is first of 885i Girly. When a bike is registered is a different thing. The UK Online Triumph Parts Fiche doesnt use years at all, they list Carb Tiger to Vin 71698, 885i Tiger Vin 71699 onwards

Engine number is on a flat machined surface on the crankcase just above the clutch cover. Oh, and regards Mikunis Vs Keihin the engine no change is when they went from Mikuni to Keihin, no idea about year, think 98's could have either
The clutch cover is on the opposite side of the clutch, no? I found a long number there that is unreadable. I'm gonna have to CSI it to read the number.

Much thanks.

Sin_Tiger

Clean it, rub a red crayon or candle over the number and buff it up.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint