News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

FIX For the dreaded sub frame.

Started by metalguru, November 17, 2015, 07:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Some of us have had the misfortune of the front sub frame giving way and dumping everything in front of the tank onto the front wheel.
I wasn't that unlucky for once as I detected an unusual 'wobble' to the screen.
Closer inspection revealed the sub frame bracket had cracked. I reinforced the bracket and got another on the way. So as not to have the same problem again I did the same modification to the new one, just in case.

During construction with new sub frame......

With a bit of luck it should have the strength it requires now, can't beat a bit of steel bar.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

So what else are Explorers know for then Nige???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Blimey and I thought my K1200 had it's problems  :icon_eek:

Is that a recall? does it happen very often?

metalguru

Triumph are reimbursing the cost for some that are not obvious accident damage.
It does seem like a weight saving exercise taken to the extreme and it does seem a widespread problem.
I appreciate the need for sacrificial construction which includes the front forks and radiator but as with cars the end user result seems rather flimsy.

Having conversed at sometime with most of the bike manufacturers over problems with new model releases, I must admit that the big T has been more than helpful at all times and indeed did not expect some of the response.

Aside from the engine/ECU recalls and a very few Friday afternoon bikes which have been whole replaced, there seems a few finish problems reported as it seems the in house powdercoating plant is not being used in the same way the later modulars were finished.

As an example of their continuing development, I happen to have a year 14 Rocket in for de-restriction, of course I have to verify my own work. The whole bike compared to mine as far as 'experience from the saddle' is concerned, delivers a totally different/better ride.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 17, 2015, 10:26:16 PM
So what else are Explorers know for then Nige???

Incorrectly machined cylinder heads that allowed the valve buckets to spin at high speed. So much that you can hear the "WHIZZING" noise.
Crank bearings f@cked within a few thousand miles. I know two that have gone back to the factory.
Turns out that the Explorer isn't as good as Triumph hoped.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

To be fair to them though, even the market leader,  the big GS,  was stricken with transmission problems that seemed to be sorted out on the quiet rather than properly acknowledged. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Quote from: blacktiger on March 23, 2016, 02:59:07 PM
Incorrectly machined cylinder heads that allowed the valve buckets to spin at high speed. So much that you can hear the "WHIZZING" noise.
Crank bearings f@cked within a few thousand miles. I know two that have gone back to the factory.
Turns out that the Explorer isn't as good as Triumph hoped.
The ones manufactured in China?
BMW GS final drives and swingarm failures. Owners already reporting quality issues with the new Africa Twin!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Timbox2

My F800GS had to have all 3 G/Box selector forks and rails,  and the selector drum replaced at 3000 miles, does seem to be quite a rare occurence though on the Rotax Lump.
2016 Tiger Sport