News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Technical - 98' Tiger purchased yesterday!

Started by GavD, February 12, 2017, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Welcome,

You mention DAR and sprag clutch in the same sentence - they are 2 separate issues and shouldn't be connected in any way.

I've no experience of the sprag clutch, but I've got a '98 model and as far as the DAR goes, the '98's were fitted with the upgraded shaft as standard. I've had a bit of DAR in the past but it's easily cured by pulling the alternator and rebolting the drive vanes back onto the alternator nice and tight. The hardest bit is getting the alternator back in without nipping a chunk out of the o ring.

Someone far more knowledgeable than me will pitch in soon about sprags.

Enjoy the bike, they're addictive!!
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

I'm not positive on this, but isn't there the bit about when the drive side bolt shears, and the sprag drops down?
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Hooverscon

Thanks GavD... I think I was getting ahead of myself... The Sprag Clutch is what needs to be replaced... Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself with the DAR!!

London_Phil

OK so, Hi, welcome to the Forum, and are you ready for some fun.
DAR , aka alternator rattle can be looked into/fixed without removing engine.
Sprag clutch however = Engine out.... on anything but the earliest bikes,which have an access cover, as the crankcase halves need splitting.
Not impossible, but a commitment required.
Are you confident you know which issue you have before you go get it.,
If the sprag has gone, the bike wont start easily, if at all.

GavD

Quote from: JayDub on February 12, 2017, 10:15:00 PM
I'm not positive on this, but isn't there the bit about when the drive side bolt shears, and the sprag drops down?

Not sure John, but I do know the '98s had a hollow shaft with a nut & bolt that goes all the way through instead of a solid shaft with a bolt at each end. This sorted one of the DAR issues but mine still suffered from the loose vanes version of DAR which I've 'fixed' a couple of times now.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

Right let's get you sorted / worried / mind at ease  :m

Have you actually seen the bike and if so heard it running  :icon_scratch: is it a runner?

If not, what did the seller tell you, as closely as you can remember? As you can probably guess from some of the responses, there seem to have been some mixed messages coming across.

Hopefully there is no really bad news. A sprag clutch failure is very unlikely on the later bikes (post 96/7), if the carbs are Keihin then it's the later, might be worth asking just in case it's an ealier bike that's been sat in the back of a showroom for a while, not unheard of. Whatever you do, do NOT try to start it until you have a KNOWN good FULLY charged battery in it, or at least jump a car battery. Same goes for DAR, shouldn't be at that age but you never can tell and it's not the hardest of jobs normally.

:new_popcornsmiley until you get your mitts on it  :thumbsup oh and as has already been said, we need some photos for the Readers Wives thread when you do  :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Hooverscon

London - are you saying that the 98' tigers don't have an access case to replace the Sprag? Is this true with all 98' tigers? I have called a few Triumph dealership... After they run my VIN they say that having the Sprag Clutch replaced will be a 3-4 hour job???? But from what I've read the Sprag Clutch on a 98' is about a 10-12 hour job? I'm starting to get worried about my purchase!!

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Hooverscon on February 14, 2017, 02:20:57 AM
London - are you saying that the 98' tigers don't have an access case to replace the Sprag? Is this true with all 98' tigers? I have called a few Triumph dealership... After they run my VIN they say that having the Sprag Clutch replaced will be a 3-4 hour job???? But from what I've read the Sprag Clutch on a 98' is about a 10-12 hour job? I'm starting to get worried about my purchase!!

I am a fairly new member here. The members, or the guys, know their stuff. People from other sites come here for help sometimes. Whatever your problem is, it usually can be fixed. So if it is the sprag, it may be labor intensive but worth it (I only know what I've read and my two-bits may be only worth that as I've never done it). My point is, all it takes is time, desire, and the manual. You can find it here somewhere. If not, PM me for a PDF copy. Good luck and come back for questions.

Hooverscon

London_Phil

Quote from: Hooverscon on February 14, 2017, 02:20:57 AM

Have you got any pictures of the right hand side of the engine for the bike?
It will be instantly obvious if you have an older engine. (pics to follow)
Its possible the engine was swapped out previously.
You may have an older engine in a newer frame, but if so, the PO would have had an easy sprag change too.

Sin_Tiger

Only the 92/3 models had the hatch and if fitting the uprated unit, the casing interals need a skim to get clearance on early casings.

All this is speculation and perhaps needless worry until you've got some facts.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

I think I know the bike .............................. :mut

it used to be red , might still be .

London_Phil

Quote from: Mustang on February 14, 2017, 02:09:36 PM
I think I know the bike .............................. :mut

it used to be red , might still be .
As long as its not the red of the dying embers of someones soul... given to the great Carb deity as sacrifice......

JayDub

"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."