News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Technical - 98' Tiger purchased yesterday!

Started by GavD, February 12, 2017, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooverscon

Thanks GavD!! I needed that. We sure have a optimistic group here haha jk. The money has been paid... The Sprag Clutch kit has been orders, my buddies have been summoned, the garage is ready!
I will be posting the progress shortly. I'm hoping once I get everything straightened up we can all try to find a central meeting place this summer! I owe everyone a beer.

London_Phil

I have a downloaded  picture story of the sprag being done on a Thunderbird.
About 60 pictures.
can email it in bits to you, or upload it somehow. I think I had a dropbox once.
Mustang has it too.

Hooverscon

Thanks London!

How many hours are you guys thinking it will take to replace Sprag?

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: London_Phil on February 15, 2017, 10:32:40 PM
I have a downloaded  picture story of the sprag being done on a Thunderbird.
About 60 pictures.
can email it in bits to you, or upload it somehow. I think I had a dropbox once.
Mustang has it too.
I like picture stories, Phil. Perhaps a link?

London_Phil

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on February 16, 2017, 01:07:00 AM
I like picture stories, Phil. Perhaps a link?

Theres no link. Images were harvested from a site no longer online.
Zipped images are 5.1mb.
Will email to anyone who pms me an email address.
Mustang was going to add them to the how to section of the server, but not sure if it was ever done.

threepot

Join     triumphrat.net    , I think there's a step by step  photo link on there? Same as Phil's?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Hooverscon

Is the only way to figure out what tooth clutch (13 or 15) I need is to break the bike down? I had hoping to order everything now... But looks like I have to wait.

Mustang

did ya know you can fix the sprag clutch with a spring from a engine seal ?
and other than the hassle of stripping the bike down the monetary cost is next to nothing ?

:nod
you take this new spring from this seal and put it in place of the stretched out one in the spag and put the bike back together .....................

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p26993/40x62x7mm+Nitrile+Rubber+Rotary+Shaft+Oil+Seal+with+Garter+Spring+R23+/+TC/product_info.html

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Sin_Tiger

According to a pro engine builder I spoke to, they get their replacement complete sprag clutches from CCM who import them at a retail price of about £25. These are apparently from Japan and the same EAN number as those supplied to Triumph and Yamaha as their spares.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ned37

Quotedid ya know you can fix the sprag clutch with a spring from a engine seal
very true, but sometimes dodgy depending on how worn out it is.  it's a common fix on husaberg and ktm spragues.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Hooverscon

I wanted to order the complete Sprag Clutch kit for 257$. I have to choose between a 13 tooth and 15 tooth clutch.. dumb question... Do I have to match what was in the bike or can I upgrade to the 15 tooth??

London_Phil

Its likely you have the later, updated one anyway. Check the Steamer/Service bulletins section for more info

gcloys

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 16, 2017, 11:03:16 PMAccording to a pro engine builder I spoke to, they get their replacement complete sprag clutches from CCM who import them at a retail price of about £25. These are apparently from Japan and the same EAN number as those supplied to Triumph and Yamaha as their spares.
Do you have anymore info on this? Is there a cross reference out there someplace?  Would love to find another source for the sprag

Sin_Tiger

I really wish I'd paid more attention at the time and written it down. Try emailing Clive Wood (google him)
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint