News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Poor MPG and a oily, rich smell from the exhaust.

Started by Tiger-G, February 15, 2017, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

I can remember on the factory visit that I went on years ago and they where describing the 'Just in time' delivery thing I've be amazed if all the internals over the years have come from the same supplier so a little unreasonable to expect all the engines to be the same.

Tiger-G

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the in depth report, some things to think about there   :icon_salut:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

Quote from: MattDaleEvans on February 25, 2017, 04:08:44 PM
Genuine coils were £100 each once but are now just £30!

Bloody hell who from  :icon_eek: thought WOT were cheap at 50 quid.

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 27, 2017, 05:40:16 PM
Bloody hell who from  :icon_eek: thought WOT were cheap at 50 quid.

Yeah, Fowlers are showing them at £37.72  +vat  (£45.26), £30 is a steal, I'll have 3 please, or does he mean £30 odd plus vat :icon_confused:
2016 Tiger Sport

MattDaleEvans

I fully agree - my dad had had Triumphs & more recently BMWs for over 50 years and has always thrashed them to death from brand new - completely frightening me to death! Yet here we have a potential correlation to the issue - too gentle a run in ruins it - next bike gets a right throttling from me for sure! Just to see.......... ;0) I'll let you know how I get on with this oil cleanser and flusher which states it stops oil consumption........... ;0)

MattDaleEvans

Oh and the genuine coils came from Triumph Hughenden M40 last August - the store man was really helpful down there and told me they had just reduced the price on them to clear old stock and he even packaged & posted all three of them and a radiator cap for £110 plus the VAT. When you check on eBay and even old used ones are more money than that its just a no brainer............. My thoughts were that the troublesome coil was just the middle one but I couldn't be bothered to mess about with just changing one - if nothing else I have two usable spares now! However I couldnt get my pads and chain and sprockets and plugs and filters from them though - they were all twice the price as OE aftermarket. Happy biking chaps.

SteveFord

My 06 uses oil at a pretty good rate at highway speeds (probably a pint every 500 miles) so I dumped out the Mobil 1 and stuck in semi synthetic.  I'll report back once the weather breaks and the salt is off the roads.

If the oil consumption continues I'll hit the cylinders with a FlexHone, new rings, valve guide seals and a rather vigorous break in.

VABird

Some early 1050s had pistons cracking likely from using low octane gas and causing oil consumption. Is that an issue at all with these 955s?
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Tiger-G

Quick update:

Bike was in for it's MOT yesterday, and as I know the tester (funny, my cars and bikes always pass first time  :icon_lol:), I asked him to put it on his emissions tester. I don't know much about emissions, but he said the HC (hydro carbons) were high ??

Idle:
CO        1.32
CO2       6.20
HC        1522
O2        10.85
Lambda 1.73

3,000 revs:
CO         1.45
CO2       6.10
HC         1598
O2         10.73
Lambda  1.70

At some stage I'm going to have to do a compression test and a leak down test to try and find out where I'm burning oil, the rings or valve seals ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tiger-G

Quick update:

Put the OEM Tiger map (10172) back on the bike today, and as soon as I started it up and let it idle, the exhaust fumes smelled much more like they should do ??  Very strange ?? :icon_scratch:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.