News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seats for (larger Riders)

Started by cr8297, February 28, 2017, 04:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr8297

This forum is fantastic!!!!!

Here we go,
Being somewhat larger than average (height not girth) I need to raise the seating position as the leg length is to short on my Tiger.
Already have what I believe to be Mustang pegs. can anyone suggest an aftermarket saddle that will raise the bum position up a couple of inches?
98 Steamer Living with us in our Barn. I will get it fixed one day. 02 F650GS Dakar works always

Sin_Tiger

Doubt find one specifically for that task. Best if you can get someone to reupholster yours or better still if you can get hold of a tatty spare. Then you can get it done just as you like it. You may find you need to add bar risers with all the other thing that entails, unless you've got arms like an Orang Utan.

While you've got everything in bits, it's worth taking a bit of tone to clean and lubrication with dielectric grease as many of the connectors as you can. Drain the fuel tank and give it a clean (use an endoscope if you can) if there was that much crud in your carbs, guaranteed the tank will be a match  :augie
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Ah. Right.

A wider seat, like a corbin style seat, will for want of a better term spread your legs out, giving you a bit more room generally.  This is the most common replacement style seat but won't really help you.

A taller, deeper seater will obviously make the seat higher but also relieves the butt, knee, footpeg angle which is the real ergonomic fault with the bike. It's too acute an angle and it makes your legs hurt after a while. This is what you want and Sintiger is correct about how to go about it. Get an old seat, add foam and recover it.

I'm just about to do the very same myself so I'll post up some pictures as I progress.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

I've noticed an Airhawk seat pad has raised the riding position since I've fitted. More comfy too :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

Quote from: threepot on February 28, 2017, 08:20:11 PM
I've noticed an Airhawk seat pad has raised the riding position since I've fitted. More comfy too :thumbsup
For what the Airhawk sells for, you could certainly get some upholstery work done! I tried one and hated it. Eventually got custom seats on both my bikes. The Tiger has a Renazco, which is very comfortable.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

A Corbin canyon sport works very well for me.....

cr8297

Thanks for the Tips. I will try the used seat and copious amounts of padding.

The Tank is full of crystals just like the Carbs, had a look inside with the bore scope. also need a new Fuel cock as it is also plugged and when I cleaned it the dam thing will not shut off the fuel.
Decided that while She was undressed I should take the rest of the plastic off and have it all painted. she looks so sad sat naked in the Barn.
98 Steamer Living with us in our Barn. I will get it fixed one day. 02 F650GS Dakar works always

fishnbiker

Highway pegs to change up the leg position now & then. I also use the rears (lowered 3") a lot when on open highway, sort of crotch rocket style. Mine are mounted onto the Thunderbike guards. You might find a mount off the stock engine guard.

Take your bike to a custom car/bike upholstery shop. They can advise & suggest on changing the foam to get you higher. I just did that on my Suzuki DR650. I took off the cover & added a long wedge of fairly hard foam Zero at the tank to 2" in the middle & zero at the tail. Puts more pressure under the thighs, sharing the butt load. Major improvement in long distance comfort.

Some photos of mine through the years from 1997 ...
https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Felix-The-Tiger/i-ZsSZ3TD
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

JayDub

Heres a cheap fix... I haven't got around to it yet, but I need to make a bracket to set the bar behind the bashplate frame and 30mm lower, but it works as is and makes a big difference on a long run.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Madruss

I bought a "Coleman comfort seat" overlay $10 (many years ago) which strapped on over the existing seat.
Then I attached my "Airhawk" over the top.
It's given me a higher seating postion on a couple of previous bikes, DR650 & XT660Z
Removing the rubber overlay on the footpegs helps the legs slightly too
1996 Granite black Steamer, ahead of 40 odd others owned
Regards Russ
An ounce of luck is worth a ton of experience!