News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger Sport Review

Started by Timbox2, March 15, 2017, 06:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Just text him he'll be along shortly  :icon_lol:

Timbox2

Quote from: HockleyBoy on November 27, 2018, 02:00:45 PM
Resurrecting an old thread  :icon_lol:

Tim,

Nearly two years on, how is the Sport? any issues?

Interested as I am thinking of replacing the Girly and I am considering the Sport

But what year Sport?  Mine, 16 Plate is awesome mate, nearly 23k miles, no issues to speak of. Had a very light oil weep from the gear indicator sensor, couldnt be arsed taking it back to Triumph so changed the O ring myself for 46p. Suspension wasnt bad really at first, but I changed it anyway,  as thanks to Winger(Chris) Im now bloody addicted to aftermarket susp. Fuelling is actually pretty good, but again Ive played around and fitted a PCV, oh and a Q/S, again thanks to Chris, bloody cost me a fortune he has :icon_lol:

Earlier (13-15) Sports are quite a different bike even if they look very similar. The later Ride by Wire bikes like mine are considered by all who have tested them to be a fair leap forward, even if those with the earlier bike disagree, try and ride both I think you'll agree. Of course everyone has a budget and you may not want to spend £7K, which is about the cheapest around at the moment for a RBW. Personally I think the best early model Sport there is,  aint worth more than £5.5k, maybe £6k.
I would get over to 1050 Forum if your serious.

No new Sport for next year, so prices should remain good for now. If Triumph start chucking Elec Suspension at it for 2020 , the 16-19 models could be even more sort after by some.
2016 Tiger Sport

London_Phil

Quote from: HockleyBoy on November 27, 2018, 02:00:45 PM
Resurrecting an old thread  :icon_lol:

Tim,

Nearly two years on, how is the Sport? any issues?

Interested as I am thinking of replacing the Girly and I am considering the Sport

Would this have anything to do with Sadiq and his ULEZ??

Chris Canning

The most important thing when looking at 1050's is knowing the difference between the two different models you can get a 16 reg in both models Tim even had a dealer try to fit him up with the old version.

Prices are fairly steady,this time last year(flybywire) their were a couple just under 8k with low mileage and I went to look at such at BMW Wolverhampton last Saturday and frankly I thought it was scrap it had seen way to much salt in its short life.

One of the quirks even the latest 1050 is from a bygone age with no electric sus and all that crap but that's what the majority want consequently their are not loads of the latest 1050's out there and hence why 2 years on they've hardly dropped 2k secondhand value and with so few bells and whistles on appeal to the minority of punters who are in it for the long haul.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: London_Phil on November 27, 2018, 04:59:22 PM

Would this have anything to do with Sadiq and his ULEZ??

No, just getting sick of messing around with the clutch and electrics. I hadn't considered ULEZ but glad you mentioned it as it could potentially make my journey expensive on an older bike.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

Euro 3 minimum for avoiding ULEZ on bikes, so most bikes after 2007 should be fine
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Tim/Chris,

Thanks for the heads up on the models, will look for a 16 or newer and carefully check the model.

Looking to spend around £7k and thought that buying over the winter might give me a chance of a bargain.

If I cant find anything I will carry on with the 955 and look again later.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Currently there's one for 7.5k with 14k on the clock but you'll be going some to find a decent one under 8k.

Oh forgot there's been on eBay for around 7.5k a private sale near Oxford look in completed.

Timbox2

Quote from: HockleyBoy on November 27, 2018, 06:00:46 PM
Tim/Chris,

Thanks for the heads up on the models, will look for a 16 or newer and carefully check the model.

Looking to spend around £7k and thought that buying over the winter might give me a chance of a bargain.

If I cant find anything I will carry on with the 955 and look again later.

Some clues:  The 2016 on models are only available in Aluminium Silver or Matt Black with large 1050 Decals on side panels. Ive seen 1 exception where the guy must have been Triumph employee and had his Caspian Blue. 2016's also have adjustable windscreen. 2016 Engine cases are crinkle black finish, (earlier normal glossy).
Oh, if its still got OE Pirelli Angel tyres, budget for a swap, they are pretty bad
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

That helps me identify the right ones.

As for price I am in no rush, hopefully we will have loads of snow  :icon_lol: might make it easier to do a deal!

Chris Canning

Way too complicated trying explain my buying plan  :icon_biggrin: but I've been looking at the latest 1050's for over year and too be honest i'd Say they've gone up a touch a year ago there one or two serious secondhand low mileage bikes for under 8k.

The two you listed if you can handle the mileage and with some haggling the black one might be doable but the silver one which is at the dealers Tim bought his would be a def no mat engine paint says it ain't looked after and for around another 1500 quid you would be close to a new one.

Makes sure they have a center stand it's optional!! And if they have rack a major plus cuz trying to work out which rack fits which 1050 is a trick.

Forgot there's an interesting one at Peterborough Harley Ferguson right mileage but needs a lot of work on the price.

Timbox2

Quote from: HockleyBoy on November 27, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
A couple there not far off my price and look to be the latest model

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809060222612?make=TRIUMPH&advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=ss54hb&radius=1500&year-from=2016&cc-from=1000&sort=price-asc&model=TIGER&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809130444503?make=TRIUMPH&advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=ss54hb&radius=1500&year-from=2016&cc-from=1000&sort=price-asc&model=TIGER&page=1

Black one has over a Grands worth of extras, I dont do panniers but you might, or flog em.  Silver one is interesting, somebody has put  Speed Triple mirrors on it ( The OE mirrors, R/H especially,  are known to vibrate, some worse than others, mine aint too bad.  The panniers should open/lock from ignition key, on a bike without panniers you should get 3 spare lock barrels for later use
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Panniers are a plus but mostly i need a rack for my givi. Centrestand is a must. Might take a look at the black one if i get a chance at the weekend.

Will also have a look at the Peterborough website