News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter Failing or Sprag clutch?

Started by KamikazeKunze, March 15, 2017, 12:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamikazeKunze

Hey all,

I am having another issue that I need your help with.

Symptoms 4 month old battery, fully charged bike cold. Start sounds like it banging in an out of engagement when trying to start the old girl.
Acts just like a low battery or the starter isn't getting enough voltage to keep it engaged.
Once she is warmed up it's not an issue. I suspect a bit of battery drain as well. When the bike sits for more than a few days it's MUCH harder to get started. I installed anew battery and it started fine yesterday. I thought I had a bad cell in the old "new" battery. Today however it's back to starting but not with out the starter sounding like it bucking around. If this were my old chevy pickup I'd swear it was a sticky solenoid as well.  :BangHead

I just watched a YouTube video of a triple trying to start with a broken sprag clutch. The sound in the video is similar but not near as bad as what I am getting when I try to start her up.

I would love a direction to go in before I throw money at her and it's in the wrong area......LOL

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks

ned37

a newly dodgy sprague will try to fail with cold oil.  especially if it's not synthetic.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: KamikazeKunze on March 15, 2017, 12:11:37 AM
If this were my old chevy pickup I'd swear it was a sticky solenoid as well.  :BangHead

I remember those sticky solenoids. Tap it with a hammer, engage the spring, boom, start. Until it didn't. Anyway, the only loud sound I ever heard when starting was when fuel dripped on the starter post. Made a loud crack. That is my only experience with a non-standard starting sound.

KamikazeKunze

So..... not the battery (new) .....not the starter (new) .......anyone have any other thoughts other than a SPRAG?

On a side note.....don't bye old and British, if you can't afford to or don't have the patience for old and British!....LOL

JayDub

Quote from: KamikazeKunze on March 30, 2017, 10:35:41 PM
So..... not the battery (new) .....not the starter (new) .......anyone have any other thoughts other than a SPRAG?

On a side note.....don't bye old and British, if you can't afford to or don't have the patience for old and British!....LOL
We're noted for our quirks  :wave