News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buying a Steamer, need advice

Started by Tomcat61, April 06, 2017, 06:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcat61

Hello, I decided to start a new thread after my introduction thread started to escalate too much to the technical side.

What I need to know is what are the differences for the Steamers built in 1993-1998?

Do they all have same 'characteristics' like the DAR and sprag clutch problems?
What about differences in carburation, does that have any effect on rideability?

What has been changed in the last model (98) compared to earlier yearmodels, is the last Steamer the best?  I may buy a '98 Steamer so I am very interested to know is it worth the higher pricetag?
I could get '95 for under 2000€ and '98 for about 2700€. Worth the extra Euros?

Thank in advance  :icon_biggrin:
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

Tomcat61

After studying this forum I'll answer to my own question  :icon_biggrin:

The '98 has Keihin carburetors which is a good thing, right?

It should also have less possible DAR problem?

Since the inspection hatch was ditched on later models, the sprag clutch design should be better and longer lasting?  The bike that I'm buying has 96000km on the clock.  Could the sprag clutch still be original?  And if it is I might expect trouble in near future? Not good.  Should I go looking for a Girly...?  I love the looks of the Steamer so that would be going for the second best  :icon_razz:

Oh well....back to studying more about Tigers  :icon_wink:

Nick Calne

Keihins = better
Sprag 98 = better, but harder if you need to repair.
DAR = Not sure

Girlies are better in some ways but look worse and do have their own issues .... and newer with parts still freely available.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Later bikes have the improved, dual tube cockpit frame too
At leaset 3 types of crankcase, with last type having oil pressure switch on top crank case, not sure what other changes internally.
If sprag is ok, then its probably down to always ensuring good battery condition.
Not sure if the rims on later bikes have stainless spokes, or if thats the early girly??
Shock changed from KYB to Showa on later bikes.

Hooverscon

Hey Tomcat!
I just picked up a 98' Steamer with about 20,000 Miles on the clock. The person selling it stated that "A Triumph dealer in New Hampshire said that the Sprag needs replaced". I have a new battery coming tomorrow. once the battery is here I plan on putting a 1/2 gallon of fuel in the bike and firing her up so see if it is indeed the Sprag. From what I heard it is very rare that a Sprag would go bad in a 98' that is why I am optimistic that there could be another issue with the bike (easier fix!). There is a wealth of knowledge on this website which is which ultimately led me to get a 98' Steamer. Good look with the purchase.

-If the Sprag is needing replaced. I plan of posting a video/pictorial of the entire process! 

ssevy

Not wanting to be a Debbie Downer here, but don't assume low mileage and last year of production are any insurance against multiple starting cycles with a weak battery. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Tomcat61

Thanks again fellows, it is nice to learn more about Tigers.

About sprag clutches: I had one worn out sprag clutch on my Laverda RGS 1000 Corsa. It jammed on by itself when I was in traffic lights.  Battery was ok, but the rollers inside the clutch were jammed in engaged position which caused the started to run with the engine  :icon_eek:

Repair was no big deal after I got new parts, but the design of the clutch was somehow agricultural.
Laverda was an agricultural equipment manufacturer before making motorcycles, but their bikes were built tough, with some weak points like the starter sprag clutch. Still, there were never a kick starter on 4-stroke Laverda  :icon_wink:

Is there aftermarket parts for Triumphs that are engineered better than original?

Is the design of sprag clutch same in Girly than in Steamer?  Girlies don't have sprag problems?

Is this sprag problem really so common that it could happen with every Steamer?  Of course, it will break sometime.  In Finland I haven't seen a Steamer on sale with low km's so I guess they all have  rebuilt sprag's   :icon_rolleyes:

London_Phil

Mines a 95, and so far, so good with original sprag ( don't worry, I've now called a priest.....)
Low Mileage at 36K, but lots of starting in garage and cursing Ethanol.
Good battery, and dealing with ignition issues/cam shimming promptly, so your not labouring the starting seem to help.
With the TT600 coil sticks, even with the crappy fuel blocking the jets, it still fires very promptly on choke
Its not inevitable, but if you labour it with a dying battery, your asking for trouble..

Tomcat61

A bit OT, but what kind of fuel you have in UK?  I was there early 90' so it must have changed since then  :icon_lol:

In Finland we have generally only two grades of fuel (petrol), 95E and 98E, containing 10% and 5% of ethanol.  I don't count 85E as petrol, as it's 85% alcohol  :occasion14

In Russia, that's about 100km's from my home, they still sell good old leaded petrol but I think not even a Steamer requires lead for the valve seats  :icon_wink:

So Steamer would like 98E more than 95E?  Do you use petrol preservative over Winter to prevent petrol turning into something else than fuel?  Works in lawn mowers and chainsaws.

Danwarb

Great thread, here's a question.

Would you guys advise buying a 94 Tiger with 20K miles or a 98 Tiger with 50K miles?

:ear 
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ssevy

Depends on so many factors. Proper maintenance and thoughtful storage could produce a desirable purchase out of either one, while poor maintenance or improper storage could have the opposite effect.
All things being equal, I would always opt for the lower mileage versus the newer bike, even given Mikuni versus Keihin carbs. Of course, if mileage and condition were both close, then I would take which ever one is pimento red :icon_biggrin:

JayDub

Being a cheapskate, I go for the average premium unleaded (95 RON?) and I use an Ethanol stabiliser when she isn't being used that much.
Most forecourts in Britain sell petrol with 10% Ethanol, fewer sell +5% and more are adding 15% even. evil stuff to carbed engines IMO.

Danwarb

Quote from: ssevy on April 07, 2017, 10:14:15 PM
Depends on so many factors. Proper maintenance and thoughtful storage could produce a desirable purchase out of either one, while poor maintenance or improper storage could have the opposite effect.
All things being equal, I would always opt for the lower mileage versus the newer bike, even given Mikuni versus Keihin carbs. Of course, if mileage and condition were both close, then I would take which ever one is pimento red :icon_biggrin:

You'd really go for an older bike for the lower milage?

Aren't the 97 Tigers with better rims, a better frame, improved DAR & sprag, and as you say better carbs not worth having with more miles?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ssevy

My 95 suits me perfectly, so I'm sure I'd be happy with the 94 as well. Others might prefer the 98. Just remember that old saying about opinions and assholes and then go ahead and make your own choice; there's really no right and wrong here.
Good luck! :icon_wink:

Tomcat61

I began to think of the mileages (or kilometres) on Tigers.  If a Steamer is still in one piece after near 1000k km's what components have beer renewed?  Not only for the sprag clutch, but the engine itself, clutch, gearbox, electrics etc.  Is 1000k km's the end for a Steamer?  I think it depends on the quality of service and even service intervals.  Multiple owners and one 'bad apple' can ruin the bike.  I just read about a guy who bought a Honda Varadero and in 1000k km's had only cam chain tensioner spring broken.  Well.....a Honda has no soul and no character.  And easy life makes people sloppy  :icon_lol: