News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuei tap

Started by tonytiger, June 28, 2017, 06:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonytiger

hello has anyone solved the problem of the dripping fuel tap in the off position. Or
better still a compatible one ,i've looked on line at one from a dt 100 not sure of dimentions though . :5moped

ssevy

I installed a Pingel.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

tonytiger

JayDub

tonytiger

Thanks I will look into getting one

tonytiger

Decided to try an inline fuel tap hopefully it will work.

Nick

Believe I may have found a cure for the dripping tap problem. If you remove the small grub screw from the bottom of the tap assembly and remove the alloy T shaped tap portion you will also find a small spring which pushes against a tapered white nylon/plastic cone. This cone becomes scored over time and this leads to the fuel leaking in the off position. I used some fine valve lapping compound and a small squirt of WD40 to remove these small score marks, you can use a flat blade screwdriver in the slot to twist the cone back and forth in the same way you would lap in valves. I'm sure some metal polish would also work Autosol for example if you don't have any valve compound. Thoroughly clean everything afterwards, and reassemble with a new O ring smeared with Vaseline.

This has stopped my tap from dripping so far, don't know how long for though!

Removing the mesh filters from the ends of the tubes would speed up the rate of wear on this part also, so don't think it's a good idea to remove them in the first place. And I don't think that they get "sucked in" and block the flow anyway.

London_Phil

"And I don't think that they get "sucked in" and block the flow anyway."

Yeah, they do....They collapse. Happened to me, and the resultant fuel starvation was directly attributed to the mesh filters collapsing.

threepot

Quote from: London_Phil on July 10, 2017, 09:42:33 AM
"And I don't think that they get "sucked in" and block the flow anyway."

Yeah, they do....They collapse. Happened to me, and the resultant fuel starvation was directly attributed to the mesh filters collapsing.
My bike occasionaly suffers from this? But a turn to 'res' cures it.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

If you have any more problems with your tap leaking, here`s an alternative

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,10288.msg75811.html#msg75811

Sin_Tiger

Collapsing old nylon filters  :nod guaranteed. Grinding like that will get you a temporary fix but what will be happening when you grind is you're just matching the grooves on one part to the other. Unless you machine the cone smooth and use a mandrel of harder material to grind the bore you'll just be marking time and that's a lot of work.

That said, if it gets you another few months or more use it's saved you enough in petrol to warrant buying a new one when it starts leaking again.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint