News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering - by rotating the chain adjuster

Started by Sidk, April 09, 2017, 10:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

Hello one and all,

Im new to both the forum and the world of Tigers,

I have recently acquired a 1998 Tiger and would like to lower it, and since i am a bit vertically challanges and would feel a bit more comfortable if i didnt have to wear my Disco Platform Shoes when riding the bike. (perhaps i exaggerate a bit, we all know that the bell bottoms get all mucked up by the chain oil)

if anyone could assist, is there a before and after pic i could use a reference. I am pretty sure its DUH.. but i;d rather have some sort of reference.

Thanks in Advance

Sid

Tomcat61

Hello Sid,

When rotating the chain adjuster the tension of chain changes, so you might have to shorten or lengthen the chain to get desired result.  At max the effect on seat height would be a couple of centimeters?  How about changing the seat to lower model? Or cutting the seat foam to get the same result?  Modifying rear suspension linking is maybe possible to lower the bike?

I have never had the need or done the mentioned lowering so these are just my thoughts.
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

Sidk

the bike is due for a new chain, so i will be doing it all in one go. A few centimeters is all i need really. I may have exaggerated a bit with the need for platform shoes ;)

JayDub

Welcome Sid,  you don't need to alter the chain, just turn the adjusters 180 deg,  you will probably need to lift the height of the chain guard with a spacer or washers, and the rubber chain rub strip will wear through quicker.  alternatively, you can fit 10 mm longer suspension links.  either way you'll need to compensate by lowering the front too, by pushing the forks through the yokes about 15 mm.

tonytiger

Or try Lust Racing they do alowering kit. :5moped

JayDub

Or I can give you the contact details for someone who makes laser cut stainless ones for about £32... but they're in the UK.

Sidk

Quote from: JayDub on April 09, 2017, 08:09:27 PM
Or I can give you the contact details for someone who makes laser cut stainless ones for about £32... but they're in the UK.

Please do!