News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltmeter Recommendations

Started by Sidk, April 24, 2017, 02:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidk

Can anyone recommend a voltmeter to replace the non working clock on the steamer? thanks a bunch..

JayDub

I had a marine one at one point - an auto one will just rot away, I think one from a digger or other plant machinery would do as long as its waterproof, and covers up to 16/18 volts

ned37

i took an old watch, removed the band and velcro'd it in the hole.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: ned37 on April 24, 2017, 06:22:44 PM

:notworthy
That speaks to my inner redneck.

Sidk

Quote from: ned37 on April 24, 2017, 06:22:44 PM
:rfl i got to admit, that would look awesome with the duct tape holding the gas tank together...  :rfl

London_Phil

I had this one, with the lip filed off, Velcro'd under the front cockpit, above the dials.

What I found excellent was it was electronically damped, so the digits weren't all over the place, and sealed. Just two connections on back.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/mini_led_digital_voltmeter/4231

Tomcat61

Quote from: Sidk on April 24, 2017, 02:57:31 PM
Can anyone recommend a voltmeter to replace the non working clock on the steamer? thanks a bunch..

My Steamer's clock works perfectly well, so I need to make another hole for the voltmeter.
On the left side there is suitable place, but I haven't had time to really get into this project yet.
A small digital display unit would be better and could be installed on the dash under the screen instead a big round gauge on the side of the fairing.  I may get that digital unit if I find one at reasonable price.
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green

JayDub

Sparky did this: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14787.msg112502.html#msg112502
and I copied him  :icon_wink:
I wired mine to an ignition supply - A white wire to the lights I think.

Sin_Tiger

Better to have something on a little bracket or stick on than start cutting the fairing. It's really best to wire it all the way back to the battery (you only need very log cables).

There are plenty of options out there but I'll say this,  choose the display size, colour and brightness carefully or you can end up cursing it during night rides, doesn't matter if it's not so easy to see in direct sunlight, if you're concerned just pull over and check it with the shade of a hand.

Don't get too fixated by an absolute voltage figure, more important are the relative changes with relation to the power consumption and engine speed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sidk

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 28, 2017, 09:47:52 AM
Better to have something on a little bracket or stick on than start cutting the fairing. It's really best to wire it all the way back to the battery (you only need very log cables).

There are plenty of options out there but I'll say this,  choose the display size, colour and brightness carefully or you can end up cursing it during night rides, doesn't matter if it's not so easy to see in direct sunlight, if you're concerned just pull over and check it with the shade of a hand.

Don't get too fixated by an absolute voltage figure, more important are the relative changes with relation to the power consumption and engine speed.
:thumbsup
im looking for an analog one..  as i dont want any bright lights etc..

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Sidk on April 28, 2017, 12:52:31 PM
:thumbsup
im looking for an analog one..  as i dont want any bright lights etc..

Have a look at the Hella Marine, good quality at a reasonable cost.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tomcat61

I found a small led display for 13€, so I won't be making a hole for the round gauge.  This small unit can be placed in the same spot as in Sparky's Steamer, although it's a rectangular shape.
Steamer 1998 British Racing Green