News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Shimmy

Started by bemusedinsojo, April 22, 2017, 02:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

A cracked swingarm is very easy/obvious to see, they crack at the pinch bolts due to over tightening. I am a slow learner, so I have done it twice, and have ridden for about 400 miles on one knowingly, and likely a fair few hundred miles more unknowingly. It did not cause the bike to throw any weird handling issues at me, that I noticed................but I am a slow learner!
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Geoff W on April 24, 2017, 10:04:29 PM
A cracked swingarm is very easy/obvious to see, they crack at the pinch bolts due to over tightening. I am a slow learner, so I have done it twice, and have ridden for about 400 miles on one knowingly, and likely a fair few hundred miles more unknowingly. It did not cause the bike to throw any weird handling issues at me, that I noticed................but I am a slow learner!
Ha ha Geoff me too! I've looked so I think I am good on cracks knock on wood. Now to get my inverted shift for out without pulling the engine.....

bemusedinsojo

My shimmy is cured. The medicine was a new tire and slider (probably the tire. The high pitched wail that earned the bike it's name is gone also. Metal on metal methinks from the slider to chain.) it was 80 f today and I rode it about 100 miles to break the rear tire in.

Funny thing I realized: my ride was getting pretty rough so I thought I'd need to rebuild the shocks because when I got it the ride was smoother. But it hit me that I'd lost 60 lbs and probably needed to adjust the rear at least, especially after Sin learned me about load. Anyway, after a little adjustment it is smooth as a hound dog's head.

Are the front shocks adjustable? I haven't looked. My old xs 650 (clearly a triumph rip off) had caps that could be removed then screwed either way depending on desired ride quality. Maybe my next project. This Steamer is showing me all kinds of new stuff I never knew before.

ssevy

Welcome to the 90's! :ImaPoser
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo