News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

European breakdown cover

Started by lammy57, April 30, 2017, 12:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lammy57

Hi I was wondering what company's people use as my tiger is a 2003 model getting some silly prices! I was meant to go on my 1957 lambretta to the euro in Italy but came off and have broke my scaphoid now the plaster does not come off until one day before my departure date so if I get the ok I could set off a few days after and catch up with the boys!
tiger 995i lambretta 1960 ser 2 ts1 240 lambretta 1957 model d ser 3

Nick Calne

Always just used the AA for the car. Do not know about the bike.

Side note and word to the wise: having broken both scaphoids, more than once, (crashes, martial arts, rugby, football!) I would suggest you might want to 'see how you go' when the plaster cast comes off. It is one of the most reluctant bones to heal owing to the poor blood supply and the high stresses placed on it.  If you make it worse by going too hard on it too early, only end up like me; permanently unable to brake hard, struggling to pull the clutch in and in constant pain when it's damp and cold.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

For the bike I/we use the RAC(because we are members but you can buy it as a non member)be aware that with a bike more than 10 years old it's best to tell them because normally there is an excess because of the bikes age.

For our medical we use Travelinsurance Direct

www.travel-insurance.net

lammy57

thanks for the replies yeah I think its about £150 and some will not do it! Nick yeah its a big if just playing about with options! gutted I cant go been looking forward to this for 2 years

Sin_Tiger

Have you thought about arriving it in the back of a van along with a mates, reducing the stress of the long ride. Then just pop then out for the shorter local rides.

I have UK and EU cover as part of my policy with Carol Nash, never has to test it. If you've already got machine only cover I'd go with the more experienced suggestions. You will have to declare you're current condition so you don't get caught out if the worst happens.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

lammy57

I have cover with footman james and have used them abroad a few times on the lambrettas The boys from Aberdeen are looking for someone to drive the back up van but that leaves Friday one day after I get my cast off so cant commit.

Sin_Tiger

Bugger, that would have been ideal.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

As Chris put above older bikes are dearer, when I told Greenflag about the new bike I got £30 back on my premium
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 30, 2017, 10:20:09 AM
Have you thought about arriving it in the back of a van along with a mates, reducing the stress of the long ride. Then just pop then out for the shorter local rides.

I have UK and EU cover as part of my policy with Carol Nash, never has to test it. If you've already got machine only cover I'd go with the more experienced suggestions. You will have to declare you're current condition so you don't get caught out if the worst happens.

+1 on Carol Nash, also never had to use it abroad but they are pretty efficient in the UK.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

We used Carol Nash for years for our medical I've had all my bikes insured with them for years but in the last 3/4 years thought they were taking the piss price wise and went else where and made sure we checked the small print!!!

lammy57

yeah have used carol nash, footman james for years on there classic insurance. got relayed to ferry port in Belgium OK but last year a lot of the scooter boys had a hard time getting picked up coming back from  the euro in Germany  even heard of people getting  home and getting cash for there scoot at market value :m

Sin_Tiger

That's not so encouraging to hear  :icon_frown:

Chris Canning

Wrong wording from me!! It was the medical insurance I was complaining about still have the bikes insured with CN,certainly when checking about about breakdown with older cars/vans I know in the small print says if the value of bringing them back exceeds the value vehicle they'll pay you off.

lammy57

it won't be the last time I see someone get towed home with a scarf! some of the bodges I have seen to get home :5moped

steamer 96

Carole Nash for me,   the European breakdown was included in the policy and touch wood I have never needed it,  however the other year two of our club riders had separate minor accidents in Potes Northern Spain (very nice) and both bikes couldn't be ridden due to gear selector snapping, the rider with Carole Nash was well looked after from the start to when he arrived back at home and they kept him informed step by step.     The other rider who was with a cheap nasty micky mouse policy had a nightmare from start and needed to organise and pay for EVERYTHING and his bike was transported by several long haul agents then struggled getting his money back....   not to mention his big mobile phone bill

a decent policy is worth every penny as one phone call does it all